How to Handle Changing Vorticity Boundary Conditions in 2D Forced Convection?

In summary, in solving a 2D forced convection problem using the finite difference method, it is necessary to consider the changing nature of the vorticity boundary condition over time. To calculate the vorticity at each time step, it is best to use the values from the previous time step, as the vorticity boundary condition is calculated from the stream function distribution, which is solved at the previous time step. More advanced methods may require a more refined approach for calculating the vorticity boundary condition.
bearcharge
I'm solving a 2D forced convection problem by using finite difference method. It involves solving the vorticity-stream function equations. I met some problem when I'm trying to solve the vorticity equation, which can be stated as follows:

How to deal with the vorticity boundary condition? after some searching in google, I realized that vorticity boundary condition is actually changing as time goes forward! In other word, vorticity boundary condition has to upgraded at each time step. But since the vorticity boundary condition is not constant, what values should we adopt? Say we're calculating the n+1 step, should we use the vorticity boundary condition at n+1 step or at n step? One other thing, because vorticity boundary condition is actually calculated from stream function distribution, what choice we make about vorticity boundary condition involves the distribution of stream function, at least at the boundary and at the layer that is closest to the boundary(suppose we use Thom method to calculate vorticity boundary condition). In this sense, it seems that we have to use the previous time step stream function values, because solving the vorticity-stream function equation series requires vorticity to be first solved, then the stream function. Does that mean we use the n time step stream function to get the vorticity boundary condition for n+1 time step vorticity calculation?

Thank you for reading my post, any suggestion or advice will be greatly appreciated :)

Engineering news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out about your question on vorticity boundary conditions in your 2D forced convection problem. I understand that this can be a challenging aspect to deal with in your finite difference method solution.

First, let me confirm that your understanding is correct - the vorticity boundary condition does indeed change as time progresses. This is because the vorticity at the boundary is affected by the flow and other boundary conditions at each time step.

In terms of what values to use for the vorticity boundary condition, it is best to use the values at the previous time step (n) to calculate the vorticity at the current time step (n+1). This is because, as you mentioned, the vorticity boundary condition is calculated from the stream function distribution, which is solved at the previous time step. Using the current time step values could lead to inconsistencies and errors in your solution.

Regarding your concern about using the previous time step stream function values for the vorticity boundary condition, this is a common approach and is acceptable. However, if you are using a more advanced method such as the Thom method, it may be necessary to use a more refined approach to calculate the vorticity boundary condition. This could involve using multiple previous time step stream function values, or other techniques to ensure accuracy.

I hope this helps and provides some guidance for your problem. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Good luck with your solution!

Related to How to Handle Changing Vorticity Boundary Conditions in 2D Forced Convection?

1. What is a vorticity boundary condition?

A vorticity boundary condition is a mathematical condition that is imposed at the boundaries of a fluid flow system. It describes the behavior of the vorticity, which is a measure of the local rotation of the fluid flow. This condition is important for accurately simulating and understanding fluid flow phenomena.

2. Why are vorticity boundary conditions important?

Vorticity boundary conditions are important because they help us understand how fluid flows behave at the boundaries of a system. They can also be used to predict and control fluid flow behavior, which is crucial for many engineering applications.

3. How are vorticity boundary conditions determined?

Vorticity boundary conditions are determined by considering the physical properties and characteristics of the fluid flow, as well as the geometry and conditions at the boundaries of the system. They are typically derived from the equations of fluid motion, such as the Navier-Stokes equations.

4. What types of vorticity boundary conditions exist?

There are several types of vorticity boundary conditions, including no-slip conditions, free-slip conditions, and periodic conditions. No-slip conditions assume that there is no relative motion between the fluid and the boundary, while free-slip conditions allow for some sliding motion. Periodic conditions are used when the flow repeats itself periodically.

5. Can vorticity boundary conditions be solved analytically?

In general, vorticity boundary conditions cannot be solved analytically. However, there are some simplified cases where analytical solutions can be obtained, such as for simple geometries and laminar flows. In most cases, numerical methods are used to solve for vorticity boundary conditions.