How to increase oxidation in something

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of increasing the rate of oxidation in an object, which is a vague and ambiguous statement. The expert clarifies that oxidation refers to a change and suggests using the term in the context of atoms or molecules rather than macroscopic objects. They also mention the use of oxidants and caution against heating an oxygen tank with a laser.
TheQuietOne
Not sure if this is Chemistry or not, but how would one increase oxidation in an object?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Define "increase oxidation in an object". As worded this statement doesn't make sense.

Sorry, I meant increase the rate of oxidation in an object.

Increasing the oxidation state means that it would need to continue losing electrons. How to do that depends upon the "object" that you are wondering about, as there various oxidants that can be used. Can you be more specific?

Last edited:
TheQuietOne said:
rate of oxidation in an object

I am afraid it still absurdly ambiguous.

"Rate of oxidation in an object" can be the speed at which wood is burnt in my fireplace, speed at which the fuel is consumed in a car engine, the speed at which battery works, or the speed at which I am burning glucose when riding on a bike (plus some).

Do you see why it is not possible to even try to answer your question?

Likes Bystander
Going through some terminology here may be of assistance for you. The term oxidation already implies a change by its very definition, so your question does carry a sort of roundabout meaning. I did still attempt to understand what you are trying to ask though. This term is probably best used in the context of atoms or molecules (not macroscopic objects).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redox

Immerse your object into (as best as can be achieved), 100% pure Oxygen?.
Maybe then heat it up with lasers?

Yes! thank you rootone! ( sorry about my lack of chemistry knowledg to y'all)

...careful not to heat an oxygen tank up with a laser, it could explode.

1. How does temperature affect oxidation?

Higher temperatures typically increase the rate of oxidation. This is because higher temperatures provide more energy for the oxidation reaction to occur. However, extreme temperatures can also denature proteins and other molecules involved in the oxidation process, leading to a decrease in oxidation.

2. What role do catalysts play in increasing oxidation?

Catalysts can increase the rate of oxidation by lowering the activation energy required for the reaction to occur. They do this by providing an alternative pathway for the reaction that requires less energy. Additionally, some catalysts can also increase the surface area available for oxidation to occur, further increasing the rate of the reaction.

3. How can I increase the concentration of oxygen for oxidation?

The most effective way to increase the concentration of oxygen for oxidation is to use a pure oxygen gas source. This can be done by using compressed oxygen tanks or oxygen concentrators. Additionally, increasing the surface area of the substance being oxidized can also increase the concentration of oxygen available for the reaction.

4. Can light increase oxidation?

Yes, light can increase oxidation in some cases. Certain wavelengths of light can provide the energy needed for the oxidation reaction to occur. This is known as photo-oxidation. However, not all substances are affected by light in the same way, and some may even undergo photochemical reactions that decrease oxidation.

5. What are some common ways to increase oxidation in food?

One common way to increase oxidation in food is by exposing it to air. This allows for oxygen to react with the food, causing oxidation to occur. Adding certain enzymes, such as lipoxygenases, can also increase oxidation in food. Additionally, cooking methods such as grilling and frying can also increase oxidation in food by exposing it to high temperatures and oxygen at the same time.