I am thinking of opting Electrical engineering for physics

In summary, the person is discussing their interest in physics and their decision to pursue an integrated MTech degree in Electrical Engineering. They are considering switching to an integrated MSc program and are curious about the possibility of pursuing a research career in physics. They are seeking advice on their options and mention the potential challenges of combining a masters in EE with a PhD in physics. They clarify that they are from India and may need to consult with people familiar with the local educational system.
UrsaMinor
I am getting an integrated MTech degree in Electrical engineering I have always been interested in Physics, but I opted EE. I mean it is the time of admissions and I am talking about the choices i have. I chose integrated msc over mtech. I want to know if I can pursue research in Physics after that.. I know all the perks of being an engineer job and career wise, but I am only concerned about a research career in Physics.

Physics news on Phys.org
You probably need to ask people familiar with your more local educational system.

In the US, persuing a PhD in physics with a masters in EE is possible, but would likely take time for the student to catch up and pass the PhD qualifying exams.

A person with a masters in EE may also get hired onto a physics research project if their particular skill set was needed.

Likes UrsaMinor
Dr. Courtney said:
You probably need to ask people familiar with your more local educational system.

In the US, persuing a PhD in physics with a masters in EE is possible, but would likely take time for the student to catch up and pass the PhD qualifying exams.

A person with a masters in EE may also get hired onto a physics research project if their particular skill set was needed.
Thanks for the Advice mam. I am from India.

Related to I am thinking of opting Electrical engineering for physics

1. What is Electrical Engineering?

Electrical Engineering is a field of study that focuses on the design, development, and maintenance of electrical systems, such as power generation, transmission, and distribution, as well as electronic devices and systems.

2. How is Electrical Engineering related to Physics?

Electrical Engineering is closely related to Physics as it is based on the principles of electricity, electromagnetism, and electronics. Many concepts and theories in Electrical Engineering are derived from the laws of Physics.

3. What skills are needed to excel in Electrical Engineering?

To excel in Electrical Engineering, one needs to have a strong foundation in Mathematics and Physics. Additionally, problem-solving, critical thinking, and analytical skills are essential. Good communication and teamwork skills are also important for working on projects with other engineers.

4. What career opportunities are available for those who opt for Electrical Engineering in Physics?

There are a variety of career opportunities available for those who opt for Electrical Engineering in Physics. Some common job roles include electrical engineer, electronics engineer, power systems engineer, and control systems engineer. Electrical engineers can work in a wide range of industries, such as energy, telecommunications, aerospace, and healthcare.

5. Is Electrical Engineering a good choice for those interested in Physics?

Yes, Electrical Engineering can be a great choice for those interested in Physics. It allows students to apply the principles of Physics to real-world problems and develop practical solutions. It also offers a wide range of career opportunities in various industries, making it a versatile and rewarding field of study.