I'm Stuck on Solving This - R2 Confuses Me

In summary, the person can move 140 lbf toward the right before making their left reactive force disappear and breaking the balance of moments.
Bookdigger
Homework Statement
A 140 lb painter is standing on a uniform plank weighing 15 lbs. and of length 12 feet. It is resting on two supports 1.5 feet from each end, as shown below. How far to the right can he move without tipping the plank (give the distance from the end of the plank)
Relevant Equations
Tccw=Tcw
I tried solving this and realized that I have no idea what r2 is and I can't just insert an equation there
16363418837973943539194845169836.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Your diagram is hard to read, and I am not sure what some of your variables mean. Please define them.
I don’t understand how you get a torque equation with a term having a factor (M+m). The weights of those act at different offsets, not some common offset 'a' from somewhere.
Your diagram has the man between the supports. No risk of tipping there.

Sorry about that. F1 and F2 are the forces pushing upwards from the supports, I added them together for my counterclockwise direction, which is where i got (M+m)g since F1=mg and F2=Mg. This is the actual diagram without any labelled forces
1636388506379.png

I also just realized that I tried to solve this question using the wrong method. I thought that both supports should have forces but I just realized that if we're talking about the plank tipping then the first support should have no forces.
Sorry if I make no sense, the way I solve equations is weird.

Bookdigger said:
... if we're talking about the plank tipping then the first support should have no forces.
In that case, is there some point about which you can take moments (torques) to make the problem simple?

Yup, if the second support (N2) becomes the pivot point then it should make things easier

Likes Steve4Physics
haruspex said:
Your diagram is hard to read, and I am not sure what some of your variables mean. Please define them.
I don’t understand how you get a torque equation with a term having a factor (M+m). The weights of those act at different offsets, not some common offset 'a' from somewhere.
Your diagram has the man between the supports. No risk of tipping there.
mg is the force of gravity pushing down on the plank, Mg is the person pushing down on the plank, r1 is the distance between mg and the pivot point, r2 is the distance between the person and the pivot point, a is the distance the person can walk without tipping the plank

Bookdigger said:
mg is the force of gravity pushing down on the plank, Mg is the person pushing down on the plank, r1 is the distance between mg and the pivot point, r2 is the distance between the person and the pivot point, a is the distance the person can walk without tipping the plank
That is a little too complicated.
Without that person on the plank, each support is holding half of 15 lbf.
Moments respect to the right support are balanced: CCW moment (15 lbf x 4.5 feet) and CW moment (7.5 lbf (reactive force of left support) x 9 feet).

Then, you place the140 lbf of that person on the right side of the right support.
How far that person can move toward the right before making that left reactive force disappear and breaking the balance of moments?

I can understand it now, I also watched a youtube video solving a similar question so I think I'm good now, thank you though

Likes berkeman and Lnewqban

1. Why is R2 confusing to me?

R2, also known as the coefficient of determination, can be confusing because it is often used in regression analysis to measure how well a regression model fits the data. It is a statistical measure that ranges from 0 to 1, with higher values indicating a better fit. However, it can be difficult to interpret and understand without a strong background in statistics.

2. How do I calculate R2?

R2 can be calculated by taking the ratio of the explained variation to the total variation in a dataset. This can be done using statistical software or by hand using a formula. It is important to note that R2 should not be used as the sole measure of a model's performance, as it can be influenced by the number of variables and data points in the model.

3. What does a high R2 value mean?

A high R2 value indicates that a large proportion of the variation in the data can be explained by the regression model. This means that the model is a good fit for the data and can be used to make accurate predictions. However, it is important to also consider other factors, such as the significance of the model's coefficients and the overall validity of the model.

4. Can R2 be negative?

No, R2 cannot be negative. It is always a value between 0 and 1, with 0 indicating that the model does not explain any of the variation in the data and 1 indicating that the model explains all of the variation. If a negative value is obtained, it is likely due to an error in the calculation or interpretation of R2.

5. How can I improve my R2 value?

There are several ways to improve the R2 value of a regression model. One way is to include more relevant variables in the model, as this can help to explain more of the variation in the data. Additionally, checking for outliers and influential data points, as well as transforming variables, can also improve the R2 value. It is important to keep in mind that a high R2 value does not necessarily mean a good model, so it is important to also consider other factors when evaluating a regression model.