Imperial College London Interviews?

In summary, the type of questions asked in interviews at ICL varies depending on the subject being interviewed for. They are usually more informal and similar to a tour of the campus, rather than the traditional Oxbridge-style interviews. There may be general questions about the chosen subject, such as why the applicant wants to study it and their thoughts on its importance. Specific physics questions are unlikely to involve maths, but may include conceptual questions like identifying forces on an object. The interview process may have become more technical due to a rise in applicants. It is not necessary to plan for specific questions, as it is more of a friendly conversation to ensure the applicant is a good fit for the university. Grades are still the most important factor in the application process.
BlackPoison94
Halloz..I'm just wondering if anyone knows what type of questions..or what questions they have asked or likely to ask in their interviews?

Anyone had any experiences?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
From what I recall, it varies depending on which subject you're being interviewed for. More often than not, it's very much unlike the Oxbridge interviews, in that it's more of a "hey, let me show you around ICL" kind of thing.

You should note that I *don't* have any first-hand experience with them and have only read through their website quite extensively.

Interviews for undergrad?

A few years ago when I had mine it wasn't too bad. They asked general questions such as 'why do you want to learn physics?', 'what do you think is the most important area of physics and why?'... questions where there isn't a right answer.

If they ask you specific physics question it is unlikely to involve maths. They didn't ask me to do maths, just conceptual stuff like 'what forces are acting on this mug sitting on the table?', 'why doesn't it fall through?', 'what is responsible the opposite reaction force to the weight of the mug?'. (That last one is actually a little tricky!)

Maybe the interview process has changed since four years ago... I think it has more importance to the application process now.

My friend said that they asked him a question about complex numbers when they interviewed him last year.

I will be interested to hear what the replies to this thread are, too. I will be applying next year and if I am invited for an interview this will be useful.

Thanks everyone for the replies :)

Jesse...apparently they're going rather technical now due to the massive increase in applicants. Ooh, how do you answer the last of your questions?

If they are like other places they could asking anything - so don't bother planning for it. You can see that from the responses! It will usually be just a 'friendly chat', to make sure you aren't totally barmy. The grades are what count. If you get the grades, they will want to have been nice to you at interview so you will not be scared to go there!

If prof is in a cheeky mood, or bored, he might say 'integrate that!', while pointing at the blackboard to something way beyond A level standard.

Don't panic.

If you can't do it, and are fairly sure it's a tough problem, just smile, and say, 'I can't. I've applied here to learn about stuff like that...' Then, hopefully, he'll laugh and spend the rest of the time being extra nice...

BlackPoison94 said:
Thanks everyone for the replies :)

Jesse...apparently they're going rather technical now due to the massive increase in applicants. Ooh, how do you answer the last of your questions?

Well then they could ask you about anything that you've learned in your A-level physics or maths up to that point in time. Make sure you're doing your homework :)

Also the answer to the last question is: the force experienced by the Earth due to gravitational pull of the mug is equal and opposite to the force (weight) experienced by the mug due to the gravitational pull of the earth. The wrong answer is: the reaction force from the table is equal and opposite to the weight of the mug, because this is not always true... imagine if you were to tilt the table.

I got the answer wrong at the time, but still got an offer.

Hope you get a nice interviewer who doesn't give you a tough time!

JesseC said:
Well then they could ask you about anything that you've learned in your A-level physics or maths up to that point in time. Make sure you're doing your homework :)

Also the answer to the last question is: the force experienced by the Earth due to gravitational pull of the mug is equal and opposite to the force (weight) experienced by the mug due to the gravitational pull of the earth. The wrong answer is: the reaction force from the table is equal and opposite to the weight of the mug, because this is not always true... imagine if you were to tilt the table.

I got the answer wrong at the time, but still got an offer.

Hope you get a nice interviewer who doesn't give you a tough time!

Ah yep...just covered that in Physics today heh.

O I hope so too :P

mal4mac said:
If they are like other places they could asking anything - so don't bother planning for it. You can see that from the responses! It will usually be just a 'friendly chat', to make sure you aren't totally barmy. The grades are what count. If you get the grades, they will want to have been nice to you at interview so you will not be scared to go there!

If prof is in a cheeky mood, or bored, he might say 'integrate that!', while pointing at the blackboard to something way beyond A level standard.

Don't panic.

If you can't do it, and are fairly sure it's a tough problem, just smile, and say, 'I can't. I've applied here to learn about stuff like that...' Then, hopefully, he'll laugh and spend the rest of the time being extra nice...

Oh I think I'm going to panic...but I'll just pretend I'm not :P

1. What is the format of Imperial College London interviews?

The format of Imperial College London interviews varies depending on the program and department. Generally, interviews are conducted in person or via video call and can last anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour. The format may include one-on-one interviews, panel interviews, group discussions, or practical assessments.

2. What types of questions are asked in Imperial College London interviews?

Imperial College London interviews typically include a mix of general questions about your background, interests, and motivation for applying, as well as subject-specific questions related to your chosen program. These may include hypothetical problem-solving questions, technical questions, and questions about your knowledge of the subject area.

3. How should I prepare for an Imperial College London interview?

To prepare for an Imperial College London interview, it is important to research the program and department you are applying for and familiarize yourself with current research and developments in the field. You should also practice answering common interview questions and be prepared to discuss your academic and extracurricular experiences and achievements.

4. Who conducts the interviews at Imperial College London?

Imperial College London interviews are typically conducted by faculty members from the department you are applying to. These may include professors, researchers, or admissions staff. In some cases, current students or alumni may also be involved in the interview process.

5. How important are Imperial College London interviews in the admissions process?

Imperial College London interviews are an important part of the admissions process and are used to assess a candidate's academic abilities, motivation, and potential fit for the program. While a strong interview performance can improve your chances of being accepted, it is not the only factor considered. Admissions decisions are based on a combination of factors, including academic qualifications, personal statement, references, and interview performance.