Ionized Gas Cables: Can You Buy Them?

In summary, the conversation revolved around the existence of cables that use ionized gas or plasma as a conductor. The individual had spent many hours searching for such cables but with little success. They also discussed the use of plasma in fiber cables and the possibility of using it as a conductor. The conversation ended with the conclusion that most of what is seen on Star Trek about plasma is not relevant to reality.
FilipLand
Hi!

Does it exist cables using ionized gas / plasma as the conductor available to buy?

Thanks in advance!

Engineering news on Phys.org
What do you find by Internet searches?

Well I have found many plasma torch cutting cables, and a bunch of plasma technology companies such as tekna.som.

I have read on http://www.efd-induction.com/en/Applications/Plasma.aspx that plasma are used in fibre-cables to make to promote the light-traveling in some way. Is it even possible to have cables using ionized gas as conductor? I have spent many hours looking for it on the internet without much success.

FilipLand said:
Well I have found many plasma torch cutting cables, and a bunch of plasma technology companies such as tekna.som.

I have read on http://www.efd-induction.com/en/Applications/Plasma.aspx that plasma are used in fibre-cables to make to promote the light-traveling in some way. Is it even possible to have cables using ionized gas as conductor? I have spent many hours looking for it on the internet without much success.
What would be a reason you would use such a cable? Do you have some application in mind? Can you think of some disadvantages of conducting electricity with such a cable?

Likes rbelli1
Sounds like star trek stuff to me.

FilipLand said:
I have read on http://www.efd-induction.com/en/Applications/Plasma.aspx that plasma are used in fibre-cables to make to promote the light-traveling in some way.

If you read the information in the link you provided you will find that plasma is used for the manufacture of optical fibers. No plasma is present during operation.

This is similar (as in a manufacturing step not necessarily as for what purpose) to what Tekna is doing. Their website is a bit hyperbolic.

FilipLand said:
Is it even possible to have cables using ionized gas as conductor?

Possibly? Practically, not likely unless some other property of that kind of system is really compelling. Consider the questions @berkeman asked.

FilipLand said:
Well I have found many plasma torch cutting cables

These use no plasma. They are just specially designed copper welding cables that have high flexibility and a bundle of different conductors and gas tubing integrated into one cable.

Averagesupernova said:
Sounds like star trek stuff to me.

Most of what you see on Star Trek about plasma is total technobabble and not relevant to reality.

BoB

rbelli1 said:
Most of what you see on Star Trek about plasma is total technobabble and not relevant to reality.

BoB
I rest my case.

Likes rbelli1
This deserves no further attention. Closed.

Likes berkeman

1. What are ionized gas cables?

Ionized gas cables, also known as plasma cables, are electrical cables that use ionized gas as the conducting medium instead of traditional metal conductors. The gas is typically a noble gas like helium or argon, which is ionized by high voltage and then used to transmit electricity.

2. How do ionized gas cables work?

Ionized gas cables work by using high voltage to create a plasma state in the gas, which allows for the flow of electricity. The plasma state is created by stripping electrons from the gas atoms, creating positively charged ions that can carry electrical current.

3. Are ionized gas cables safe?

Ionized gas cables are generally considered safe, as the gas used is non-toxic and non-flammable. However, they do require high voltage to operate, so proper precautions should be taken to ensure safety.

4. Where can I buy ionized gas cables?

Ionized gas cables are not commonly available for purchase, as they are still in the early stages of development. However, some research institutions and companies may have them available for specialized applications.

5. What are the advantages of using ionized gas cables?

One of the main advantages of using ionized gas cables is their ability to carry high currents without the need for heavy and expensive metal conductors. They are also more flexible and can operate at higher temperatures. Additionally, they are less affected by electromagnetic interference and can be used in environments with strong magnetic fields.