Is A^n = I_n Enough to Prove Invertibility of A?

In summary, to prove that an n x n matrix A is invertible if Ak = In for some positive integer k, we can use the definition of inverse and the fact that A^k = I. This means that A^(k-1) is the inverse of A, making A invertible. The use of the Invertible Matrix Theorem is not necessary in this proof.
auriana

Homework Statement

Let A be an n x n matrix such that Ak = In for some positive integer k.
Prove that A is invertible.

Homework Equations

We have studied inverses of matrices and the Invertible Matrix Theorem, but have not yet reached determinants, just to let you know that determinants should not be used in the solution to this problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

It makes sense to me that A must be invertible in my head. I am not sure how to show this as a proof.

My first thoughts were that I could use the Theorem that states "If A and B are n x n invertible matrices, then so is AB, and the inverse of AB is the product of the inverses of A and B in the reverse order," which leads to the generalization that "The product of n x n invertible matrices is invertible, and the inverse is the product of their inverses in reverse order."

However then I realized that the theorem doesn't state that it goes backwards as well as forwards ( from AB to A and B as opposed to A and B to AB) and I wasn't sure if it was allowed.

Any help would be appreciated - thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
A^k=I means A*A^(k-1)=I. Think about that for a minute. What's the definition of inverse?

An nxn matrix is invertible if there is an nxn matrix C such that CA = AC = I.

So since A^k is just A*A^(k-1) or you could say its A^(k-1)*A then A^(k-1) is that C matrix and is the inverse of A and A is invertible.

Is that correct?

auriana said:
An nxn matrix is invertible if there is an nxn matrix C such that CA = AC = I.

So since A^k is just A*A^(k-1) or you could say its A^(k-1)*A then A^(k-1) is that C matrix and is the inverse of A and A is invertible.

Is that correct?

Sure. A^(k-1) is the inverse of A.

Thanks so much =)

1. What is an invertible matrix?

An invertible matrix is a square matrix that has a unique inverse matrix. This means that when multiplied together, the two matrices result in an identity matrix. An identity matrix is a square matrix with 1s on the main diagonal and 0s everywhere else.

2. Why is it important to prove a matrix is invertible?

Proving that a matrix is invertible is important because it guarantees that the matrix has a unique solution when solving systems of equations. This is especially useful in many areas of science, such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

3. How do you prove a matrix is invertible?

To prove a matrix is invertible, you can use several methods such as finding the determinant, using row operations, or finding the inverse matrix through Gaussian elimination. Whichever method you choose, the end result should be an identity matrix.

4. Can any matrix be invertible?

No, not all matrices are invertible. For a matrix to be invertible, it must be a square matrix with a non-zero determinant. If the determinant is 0, then the matrix does not have an inverse.

5. What is the significance of the inverse matrix?

The inverse matrix is significant because it allows us to solve systems of equations, find the solutions to linear equations, and perform other important mathematical operations. It also helps in simplifying complex calculations and making them easier to solve.