Is Methylene Chloride dangerous?

• Thread starter tankarish
  • Start date
In summary, methylene chloride can cause cancer in those who are exposed to its vapours for many years.
tankarish
I accidently dropped a vial of it, thus inhaling some of it. My friend told me it can cause cancer. Should I be worried?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
You should Google "Methylene Chloride MSDS", and read one of the MSDS's that come up. And yes, it can cause cancer. What are you going to do about it now? You can't unbreathe it.

Vanadium 50 said:
You should Google "Methylene Chloride MSDS", and read one of the MSDS's that come up. And yes, it can cause cancer. What are you going to do about it now? You can't unbreathe it.
Not much I guess, thanks though.

tankarish said:
I accidently dropped a vial of it, thus inhaling some of it. My friend told me it can cause cancer. Should I be worried?
Was this at work? Or at a school lab? In general you need to report this accident to your supervisor, and find out if you should see a doctor about it.

Likes symbolipoint
tankarish said:
Gloves, goggles, fume-hood!

In general, you should familiarize yourself with the safety of such substances (e.g. read their MSDS) before you begin working with them.

Likes russ_watters
I recently did a lab ventilation safety study for a major pharma company: methylene chloride was the most hazardous "normal" chemical they were using in their labs. Per their standards it should only be used in a fume hood.

While methylene chloride is a proven cancerogenic, its effect were only observed in workers being exposed to its vapours for many years. So maybe you could compare your risk to that of a person who smoked one cigarrette in his life as compared to a heavy smoker.

Likes epenguin
tankarish said:
You are unlikely to the extreme to get cancer from single exposure to methylene chloride.
Inhaling it daily for years to the point where you feel affected would make these odds significant.
Methylene chloride is main component of many paint strippers and lay workers carelessly working with these are not facing cancer epidemics.
On the other hand MSDS is document meant more to cover corporate legal ass than provide you with useful information.
Saying all that I would not work with methylene chloride recklessly.
It can cause skin irritation, allergic skin reactions with ulcerations, can affect liver and yes, after decades of exposure there is a slightly higher than normal risk of certain cancers.

Likes symbolipoint

Related to Is Methylene Chloride dangerous?

1. Is Methylene Chloride harmful to humans?

Yes, exposure to Methylene Chloride can be harmful to humans. It is a volatile chemical that can be inhaled, ingested, or absorbed through the skin. It has been linked to various health effects, including respiratory irritation, dizziness, nausea, and even death at high levels of exposure.

2. What are the potential long-term effects of exposure to Methylene Chloride?

The long-term effects of exposure to Methylene Chloride depend on the level and duration of exposure. Some studies have shown an increased risk of cancer, particularly liver and lung cancer, in individuals who have been exposed to high levels of Methylene Chloride for extended periods of time.

3. How can I protect myself from Methylene Chloride exposure?

The best way to protect yourself from Methylene Chloride exposure is to limit your exposure to the chemical. This can be done by wearing protective gear, such as gloves and a respirator, when handling it, and working in a well-ventilated area. It is also important to follow proper safety protocols and avoid any unnecessary contact with the chemical.

4. Is Methylene Chloride commonly found in household products?

Methylene Chloride is commonly found in paint strippers, degreasers, and other industrial products. It is not typically found in household products, but some consumer products, such as aerosol sprays and household cleaners, may contain small amounts of Methylene Chloride.

5. Can Methylene Chloride be safely disposed of?

Methylene Chloride should not be disposed of in regular trash or poured down the drain. It is important to follow proper disposal guidelines, which may vary depending on your location. Some options for safe disposal include contacting a hazardous waste facility or working with a licensed disposal company.