Is PGRE Required for Masters in Physics After Engineering Degree?

• Thread starter Shanil
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pgre
In summary, it is not mandatory to give PGRE after your bachelors in engineering to shift to masters in physics, but it is helpful. If you are interested in enrolling in a good university, it is best to research the admission requirements yourself.
Shanil
I would like to know whether or not it is mandatory to give PGRE after my bachelors in engineering to shift to masters in physics?
i am in the third year of engineering and pursuing a degree in nanotechnology but the recent exposure in the hard sciences has encouraged to change my field from engineering to physics, is it possible to change my field of study?

I'm really good at engineering, i usually score an A grade in all the subjects (Excluding mathematics where i score a B) So on improving my math is it possible to enroll into the theoretical physics branch?

After a careful research i have seen that the math done in undergraduate physics courses is the same as the math in engineering, (but the math in engineering is a bit into the application aspects).

If i decide to study in Germany or USA, is it mandatory to give PGRE or only GRE is enough to get me into a good college for my masters program in physics?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
This depends on the university you are applying to.

Vanadium 50 said:
This depends on the university you are applying to.
I want to enroll in the best university i can get, can you suggest some?

Shanil said:
I want to enroll in the best university i can get, can you suggest some?

People getting into the best universities are usually the people who can research this information by themselves.

Most of the better shools will look more highly on an application that includes a high PGRE score than one that does not, especially if your BS is in a different field.

micromass said:
People getting into the best universities are usually the people who can research this information by themselves.
Actually, I have no idea about the requirements to enroll into those colleges because I'm from INDIA.
And i have been told that GRE would be enough to get into the best universites instead of giving both PGRE and GRE, is it true?

Shanil said:
Actually, I have no idea about the requirements to enroll into those colleges because I'm from INDIA.
Well, you have internet connection. Search for your desired university website and in particular the desired department. The admission requirements are usually given under the "prospective students" section. Example: http://web.mit.edu/physics/prospective/graduate/index.html.

The very same internet that you are using to ask us to do the work for you is the internet that let's you do the work yourself. This information is listed on the web sites of the schools you are interested in. You will certainly get this information sooner by looking it up on those sites than by waiting for one of us to look it up on each of these sites and post it here.

Likes Intraverno and Dr. Courtney
Keep in mind that many US schools do not consider a bachelors from India equivalent to a bachelors from the US. Many will require you do a masters in India before applying for graduate work in the US.

Additionally, the best schools don't offer terminal masters degrees. It's a PhD or nothing. And almost all of them will require the PGRE and all the GRE, regardless of your background (mostly because of it, really).

1. What is the purpose of the PGRE (Physics GRE) exam?

The PGRE is a standardized test that assesses the knowledge and understanding of fundamental physics concepts that are typically covered in undergraduate physics courses. It is used by graduate schools as one of the criteria for admission into their physics graduate programs.

2. Do all graduate schools require applicants to take the PGRE?

No, not all graduate schools require the PGRE exam. While it is a common requirement for admission into physics graduate programs, some schools may have their own entrance exams or may not require a standardized test at all.

3. How does the PGRE score impact my chances of being accepted into a graduate program?

The PGRE score is one factor that graduate schools consider when evaluating applicants. A high score may improve your chances of being accepted, but it is not the only criteria that schools use. Other factors such as GPA, letters of recommendation, and research experience also play a significant role in the admissions process.

4. Can I retake the PGRE if I am not satisfied with my score?

Yes, you can retake the PGRE multiple times. However, keep in mind that some schools may average your scores while others may only consider your highest score. It is important to research the policies of the schools you are applying to before deciding to retake the exam.

5. How should I prepare for the PGRE?

Preparation for the PGRE typically involves reviewing fundamental physics concepts and practicing with sample questions and exams. Some resources that may be helpful include study guides, prep courses, and online practice tests. It is also important to familiarize yourself with the format and timing of the exam to ensure that you can complete it within the time limit.