Is this a good idea? I'm going to self study with Boas before school starts

In summary, the idea of self-studying math using the Boas book is a good one. The book can be used as a self-study, and it is helpful to get the Student's Solution Manual.
mangoman
Hello PF,

I'm going to be heading to my 3rd year as a Physics major and I want to make this last month of summer a tad productive. So my plan was to review/self study math using the mathematical methods book by Boas (and maybe some online resources to get more depth on some particular topics). Is this good idea? and if so, is there a recommended order that I should do the topics into better prepare me for my 3rd year?

Thanks for all input !

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want to self study mathematical methods, go for it.

You can't really go wrong studying anything in that book. Just pick what interests you.

May as well avoid special functions though. They can be learned in the context of physics courses.

YES. This is a great idea. It helps to know the math, at least a little bit, before you know the science so you don't have to study both at the same time.

I'd place greater emphasis on reviewing complex numbers, series and sequences, calc, vector calc, basic linear algebra and ODEs than on things you haven't seen before, since much of classical mechanics, EM and QM are going to be old math packaged in new science.

mangoman said:
Hello PF,

I'm going to be heading to my 3rd year as a Physics major and I want to make this last month of summer a tad productive. So my plan was to review/self study math using the mathematical methods book by Boas (and maybe some online resources to get more depth on some particular topics). Is this good idea? and if so, is there a recommended order that I should do the topics into better prepare me for my 3rd year?

Thanks for all input !

The Boas book was written in such a way that it can be used as a self-study. I heard it from the "horse's mouth" herself, i.e. from Mary Boas herself in 1986 (and I just dated myself there!), and this may also have been written in the Foreword of the book.

Note that if you do use it as a self-study, it might also be useful to get the Student's Solution Manual. In that book, she walks you through the details in arriving at the answers of some of the problems in her book.

Zz.

I cannot determine whether this is a good idea for you personally. However, I can say that self-studying with a mathematics textbook can be a valuable way to review and deepen your understanding of mathematical concepts. I would suggest setting a clear plan and schedule for yourself, and perhaps consulting with a professor or tutor for guidance on the best order to study the topics in. It's also important to make sure you have a strong foundation in the basics before moving on to more advanced topics. Ultimately, the success of your self-study will depend on your dedication and determination to learn. Best of luck in your studies!

1. Is self-studying with Boas before school starts a good idea?

It depends on individual learning styles and goals. Some students may benefit from self-study, while others may find it more challenging without the guidance of a teacher or structured curriculum.

2. Will self-studying with Boas be enough preparation for school?

It is important to consider the depth and breadth of the material covered in the self-study and how it aligns with the curriculum of your school. It may be beneficial to supplement with additional resources or seek support from a teacher or tutor.

3. How does self-studying with Boas compare to taking a traditional course?

Self-studying with Boas may offer more flexibility in terms of pace and schedule, but it also requires a high level of self-motivation and discipline. Traditional courses offer structure and guidance from a teacher, but may not allow for as much individualized learning.

4. Are there any potential drawbacks to self-studying with Boas?

One potential drawback is the lack of feedback and assessment from a teacher. It may also be challenging to stay motivated and on track without the structure and accountability of a traditional course.

5. How should I approach self-studying with Boas to ensure success?

It is important to set clear goals and establish a study schedule to stay on track. Seeking support from a teacher or tutor, as well as utilizing additional resources, can also help to enhance understanding and retention of the material.