Is this correct? (Lagrangian mechanics)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the Lagrangian and solving for the equations of motion for a Thompson-Tait pendulum using three generalized coordinates and three holonomic constraints. The Lagrangian for this system may be complex, but can be solved using Euler-Lagrange's equation.
Lavabug

Homework Statement

Find the Lagrangian and solve for the equations of motion. (see attached image)

Homework Equations

Euler-Lagrange's equation.

The Attempt at a Solution

I just wanted to check if I picked the right generalized coordinates. The pic shows what I think is called a Thompson-Tait pendulum. I chose the red dot as my reference frame and chose these as my generalized coordinates: the angles each of the pendulums at the ends make and phi as the angle at the center of pendulum.

I got a total of 3 holonomous constraints: z1, z2 = constant(all motion is planar), and (L + a)^2 = x^2 + y^2 for both pendulums at the ends.

Are my choices correct? Its a monster of a Lagrangian.

Attachments

• tpp.png
    tpp.png
    6.4 KB · Views: 439
Physics news on Phys.org

Yes, your choices for generalized coordinates are correct. The Thompson-Tait pendulum is a system with 3 degrees of freedom, so you have chosen 3 independent variables to describe the system. Your 3 holonomic constraints are also correct, as they represent the geometric constraints of the system (planar motion and the length of each pendulum).

As for the Lagrangian, it will indeed be quite complicated due to the presence of multiple pendulums and their associated kinetic and potential energies. But as long as you have correctly identified all the relevant variables and constraints, your Lagrangian should be correct.

To solve for the equations of motion, you can use Euler-Lagrange's equation as you mentioned. This will give you a set of coupled second-order differential equations, which can then be solved numerically or analytically (if possible).

Good luck with your calculations!

Related to Is this correct? (Lagrangian mechanics)

1. What is Lagrangian mechanics and how is it different from Newtonian mechanics?

Lagrangian mechanics is a mathematical formalism used to describe the motion of systems in classical mechanics. It is based on the principle of least action, which states that the actual path taken by a system between two points in time is the one that minimizes the action (a quantity that represents the energy of the system). This approach is different from Newtonian mechanics, which is based on the concepts of force, mass, and acceleration.

2. How do you use Lagrangian mechanics to solve problems?

Lagrangian mechanics can be applied to any system with a well-defined set of coordinates and a potential energy function. The first step is to write down the Lagrangian, which is the difference between the kinetic and potential energy of the system. Then, we use the Euler-Lagrange equations to find the equations of motion for the system. Finally, we solve these equations to determine the position, velocity, and acceleration of the system at any given time.

3. Can Lagrangian mechanics be used for both simple and complex systems?

Yes, Lagrangian mechanics can be applied to systems of any complexity, as long as the system can be described by a set of coordinates and a potential energy function. It is often used to study systems with multiple degrees of freedom, such as a pendulum or a double pendulum, and can also be extended to include constraints and non-conservative forces.

4. What are the advantages of using Lagrangian mechanics over other approaches?

Lagrangian mechanics has several advantages over other approaches, such as Newtonian mechanics. It provides a more elegant and concise way to describe the motion of a system, as all the information is contained in a single function (the Lagrangian). It is also more general, as it can be applied to systems with any number of degrees of freedom and can easily incorporate constraints and non-conservative forces.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using Lagrangian mechanics?

One limitation of Lagrangian mechanics is that it is not always the most efficient approach for solving certain problems. In some cases, other methods, such as Newton's laws or conservation of energy, may be more straightforward and easier to use. Additionally, Lagrangian mechanics can be more difficult to understand and apply for beginners, as it involves more abstract concepts and mathematical formalism.