Employer paying for my engineering master’s when bachelor’s isn’t in engineering?

In summary: See if you can get a loan and/or... There are a few options available to you. You could try to get a loan from a bank or a credit union, or you could look into student loan options. If you have a good credit history, you may be able to get a low interest rate loan. Alternatively, you could look into a private loan option. Right, but I’m just asking what my options would be in the worst case scenario. That is, not being hired with just a physics bachelor’s.Worst case? Take any job you can get even if it means working in retail or a coffee shop. See if you can get a loan and
Slavic2000
I know that those who graduate with an engineering degree and go on to work as engineers will often have their master’s degree paid for, at least in part, by their employer. What about graduates of other fields who don’t work as engineers?

I am a physics major and one of the paths I am considering after graduation is engineering, which would most likely require a graduate degree in engineering. Supposing that I am not interested in a PhD, that would leave a Master’s. But since I would most likely not have an employer’s financial backing to study engineering, how would I go about paying? Do most physics graduates who make this switch have to take on a lot of debt?

Physics news on Phys.org
Slavic2000 said:
But since I would most likely not have an employer’s financial backing to study engineering,
I don't see that as a given. It would vary from employer to employer, and probably depend also on the nature of your position. It is an administrative issue; you have to convince whoever signs the request that it is in the best interest of the company.

In general I have found that once you start working, the exact details of your degree matter less and less as time goes on; meanwhile, what you do on the job matters more and more.

There are exceptions, for example if you're designing boilers to the ASME code and need a PE license.

Likes Slavic2000
gmax137 said:
I don't see that as a given. It would vary from employer to employer, and probably depend also on the nature of your position. It is an administrative issue; you have to convince whoever signs the request that it is in the best interest of the company.

In general I have found that once you start working, the exact details of your degree matter less and less as time goes on; meanwhile, what you do on the job matters more and more.

There are exceptions, for example if you're designing boilers to the ASME code and need a PE license.

I agree, but that still presupposes that I am able to land a job with an engineering company to begin with — something I am told can be difficult with only a physics degree because you will be competing against engineers.

Based on the small handful of physics majors I've met who were interested in engineering jobs... it seemed harder, but it's not impossible. I wouldn't strike out and assume an absolute zero for all of your opportunities.

Good news for you is there are a lot of goofballs who graduate engineering with pretty resumes, but they can't get through the interview. If you took relevant classes and you know your stuff, then you can certainly make it happen. One of my physics friends did struggle and took a professional certificate class on RF engineering at our university and scored an RF engineering position that was paying much better than his earlier technician job; I have a few coworkers who are physics majors and work photonics and optical engineering positions (aerospace).

The company I work at has a really flexible policy even includes certificate classes all we have to do is justify that the class is relevant to our work and get an HR person to sign off on it before we take it. I don't hear too much problems from others about it.

Likes Slavic2000
Joshy said:
Based on the small handful of physics majors I've met who were interested in engineering jobs... it seemed harder, but it's not impossible. I wouldn't strike out and assume an absolute zero for all of your opportunities.

Good news for you is there are a lot of goofballs who graduate engineering with pretty resumes, but they can't get through the interview. If you took relevant classes and you know your stuff, then you can certainly make it happen. One of my physics friends did struggle and took a professional certificate class on RF engineering at our university and scored an RF engineering position that was paying much better than his earlier technician job; I have a few coworkers who are physics majors and work photonics and optical engineering positions (aerospace).

The company I work at has a really flexible policy even includes certificate classes all we have to do is justify that the class is relevant to our work and get an HR person to sign off on it before we take it. I don't hear too much problems from others about it.

Right, but I’m just asking what my options would be in the worst case scenario. That is, not being hired with just a physics bachelor’s.

Worst case? Take any job you can get even if it means working in retail or a coffee shop. See if you can get a loan and/or persuade family to help you? Some people in the bay area are living in their vans if they're lucky enough to afford one and crashing the couch of a friends place to cut cost.

In other words: You do whatever it takes to make it happen if that's what you want. There are no secrets or shortcuts.

Likes Slavic2000
Joshy said:
Worst case? Take any job you can get even if it means working in retail or a coffee shop. See if you can get a loan and/or persuade family to help you? Some people in the bay area are living in their vans if they're lucky enough to afford one and crashing the couch of a friends place to cut cost.

In other words: You do whatever it takes to make it happen if that's what you want. There are no secrets or shortcuts.

I see. Unfortunately, my family wouldn’t be able to help me (they don’t even live in the US).
I have come across the “unethical” tactic of getting into a PhD program and then dropping out after earning a Master’s for free. Do whatever it takes, as you say.
In any case, engineering is just one avenue I’m considering, so I am not too perturbed by this.

There are practicalities of course. For example: I wouldn't recommend anything like Breaking Bad. Some programs have specific rules ie. like my workplace people can't just come in, have them pay for a degree, and then suddenly quit or leave. We have to stay another 2 years before leaving otherwise we'll have to pay it back.

Joshy said:
There are practicalities of course. For example: I wouldn't recommend anything like Breaking Bad. Some programs have specific rules ie. like my workplace people can't just come in, have them pay for a degree, and then suddenly quit or leave. We have to stay another 2 years before leaving otherwise we'll have to pay it back.

Interesting.
At any rate, the reason I asked is because I am weighing the pros and cons of staying with physics as opposed to switching to engineering. I have to decide by the start of my sophomore year, by which point the major requirements will lock me into whatever I choose. At this point, I think that staying in physics is better for me, but I’ll think over what’s been said.

If you like both almost equally, then I would personally encourage engineering... if you really like physics and want to stick to those fundamentals, then take a few more electives covering physics. I’m biased and can say from my own experience getting an engineering degree... grades were not competitive (I wouldn’t encourage that part though)... jobs were still waiting before I could finish my bachelors. The word engineer on my degree seemed to do the trick as far as getting calls for an interview.

If engineering just isn’t your thing and you love physics that much more... you got to make sure you love what you do. People who pursue engineering and don’t like it... I think it’s a hard route for them too. I can really tell when I talk to a coworker who pursued that route; they can still make it, but only two years of experience I’m already blazing by them with promotions, raises, and offers (looks to me they’ve plateaued or are putting all of their eggs into one basket I don’t see them going anywhere else). If that’s okay with you... then it doesn’t sound like you can make a wrong decision just flip a coin and move on with whatever the probability gods have assigned to you.

Likes Slavic2000 and jasonRF
If you want a career in engineering, I would get a degree in engineering.

Likes jasonRF
Joshy said:
If you like both almost equally, then I would personally encourage engineering... if you really like physics and want to stick to those fundamentals, then take a few more electives covering physics. I’m biased and can say from my own experience getting an engineering degree... grades were not competitive (I wouldn’t encourage that part though)... jobs were still waiting before I could finish my bachelors. The word engineer on my degree seemed to do the trick as far as getting calls for an interview.

If engineering just isn’t your thing and you love physics that much more... you got to make sure you love what you do. People who pursue engineering and don’t like it... I think it’s a hard route for them too. I can really tell when I talk to a coworker who pursued that route; they can still make it, but only two years of experience I’m already blazing by them with promotions, raises, and offers (looks to me they’ve plateaued or are putting all of their eggs into one basket I don’t see them going anywhere else). If that’s okay with you... then it doesn’t sound like you can make a wrong decision just flip a coin and move on with whatever the probability gods have assigned to you.

My university has many core requirements, so engineers can have a hard time taking technical electives outside of engineering. Right now, I am considering majoring in physics and pursuing concentrations in computer science and aeronautics. The problem with engineering is that there are very few jobs in engineering that I would actually be interested in doing, hence my reluctance to declare an engineering major outright (in addition to other reasons).

Vanadium 50 said:
If you want a career in engineering, I would get a degree in engineering.

I didn't say I want a career in engineering, but that I am considering that as one "path" I can take after graduation. I cannot say with any certainty what I would like to do as a career.

1. Can my employer pay for my engineering master's degree if my bachelor's degree is not in engineering?

Yes, it is possible for your employer to pay for your engineering master's degree even if your bachelor's degree is not in engineering. Many companies offer tuition reimbursement programs or sponsor employees for further education in a field related to their job.

2. What are the benefits of having my employer pay for my engineering master's degree?

Having your employer pay for your engineering master's degree can provide several benefits. It can save you a significant amount of money, as you won't have to pay for tuition and other expenses out of pocket. It can also demonstrate your commitment to your job and career growth, making you a more valuable employee.

3. Will my employer have any expectations or requirements if they pay for my engineering master's degree?

In most cases, your employer may have certain expectations or requirements if they pay for your engineering master's degree. This may include maintaining a certain GPA, completing the degree within a specific timeframe, or continuing to work for the company for a certain period after graduation.

4. Can I choose any engineering master's program, or does my employer have to approve it?

It is best to consult with your employer before choosing an engineering master's program. Some companies may have a list of approved programs or specific areas of study that they are willing to pay for. It is important to ensure that the program you choose aligns with your job and career goals.

5. What should I do if my employer is not willing to pay for my engineering master's degree?

If your employer is not willing to pay for your engineering master's degree, you may want to consider other options such as scholarships, grants, or loans. You can also discuss the possibility of a flexible work schedule or reduced workload with your employer to better manage your studies while working.