Mechanical seal monitoring system ?

In summary: The mechanical seal monitoring system contains a blower that uses nitrogen cooling. If the pump that supplies the nitrogen is smaller than the pump that supplies the water, then the nitrogen may not be reaching the seal. The flow meter "safe unit" is located on the blower. If the pressure switch on the flow meter detects that the blower is running, then the pump is functioning and the pressure is appropriate. If the pressure switch on the flow meter does not detect that the blower is running, then the pump may not be functioning and the pressure is incorrect. If the pressure switch on the flow meter detects that the blower is not running, then the pump may be functioning but the pressure is incorrect.
maxx_payne
mechanical seal monitoring system ?

hello everyone
i have a system consists of A blower used for nitrogen cooling
this blower has a mechanical seal which is cartidge seal and the seal cooling liquid is water
pumped from a water tank via a water pump to keep both surfuces of the seal blanced under 10 bars each one face is for water and the other is for nitrogen the questions is ?

1- what will happen if i run the seal with smaller pump which has smaller head than the big pump?
2- the mechanical seal cooling system contains a flow meter " safe unit " john crane this flow meter has a pressure switch to ensure that the blower is running only if the cooling pump is working an realized its pressure so
what if i replaced this safe unit with a flow control valve with a normal pressure switch ?

Engineering news on Phys.org

Hi maxx. Why do you need the 0 psi dP across the seal when it's running? As I understand it, you have the 10 bar nitrogen on the one side and 10 bar water on the other side of the seal for cooling. Is that right? Does the seal get that hot that you need a coolant? Do you need the water pressure to be the same as the nitrogen pressure or do you just need the right cooling water flow rate?

I've seen plenty of seals that need close to 0 dP and they generally use a pressure switch, but if your seal needs cooling water flow, then maybe both are necessary.

YES I NEED THE DP =0
THE main problem is if i don't have the monitoring system which is the flow meter with the pressure switch can i replace this manually and what if i need the correct flow rate of coolant of the seal ?

Do you have the nitrogen at high enough pressure available? John Crane uses many setups with supplied nitrogen and needle valves for simple flow control.

I would imagine there's a reason that a blower was used as opposed to a very cheap and simple needle valve/regulated nitrogen setup.

Do you just want to control the pressure or do you want to try and control the flow (really on seals you'd more likely monitor the flow to see changes in seal leakage). If you just want to control the pressure and have pressurized nitrogen available without the blower you can use a pressure regulator. If the cooling water pressure may change then you can reference the regulator to it.

can u send me some technical notes on mechanical seals ?? i want to be proffissional with this

well i have a new idea of removing the flow meter and pressure switch also and use
nitrogen from the blower outlet to pressurize the cooling fluid
is this will be effiecinet

1. What is a mechanical seal monitoring system?

A mechanical seal monitoring system is a device used to monitor the performance and condition of mechanical seals, which are used to prevent leakage in industrial equipment such as pumps and compressors. The system typically includes sensors that measure factors such as temperature, pressure, and vibration to detect potential issues with the seal.

2. Why is it important to monitor mechanical seals?

Monitoring mechanical seals is important because it helps prevent equipment failures and downtime. By detecting potential issues early on, maintenance and repairs can be performed before they become more serious and costly problems. This can also help extend the lifespan of the mechanical seal and improve overall equipment reliability.

3. How does a mechanical seal monitoring system work?

A mechanical seal monitoring system works by collecting data from sensors and analyzing it to identify any changes or abnormalities in the performance of the seal. This data is typically displayed on a control panel or computer screen, allowing operators to monitor the seal in real-time and make any necessary adjustments or repairs.

4. What are the benefits of using a mechanical seal monitoring system?

Using a mechanical seal monitoring system can provide several benefits, such as improving equipment reliability, reducing downtime and maintenance costs, and increasing safety by detecting potential leaks before they occur. It can also help optimize equipment performance and energy efficiency by identifying any issues that may be affecting the seal's operation.

5. Are there different types of mechanical seal monitoring systems?

Yes, there are various types of mechanical seal monitoring systems available, including online systems that continuously monitor the seal's performance, and portable systems that can be used for periodic testing and troubleshooting. Some systems also have the capability to communicate with other equipment and alert operators of any potential issues in real-time.