MS Applied Physics @ Cal State Long Beach?

In summary, the speaker is asking for input on the Applied Physics master's program at Cal State Long Beach and the Physics MS program at California State University, Los Angeles. They are leaning towards Long Beach due to its reputation and are using these programs as a stepping stone for a PhD program. The Applied Physics program is fairly new with strong faculty and curriculum, while CSULA may have a rough campus. Ultimately, the decision is up to the speaker and both programs seem like good choices.
planethunter
Hi there, I have been recently admitted into the Applied Physics master's degree program at Cal State Long Beach here in Los Angeles County and want to know if anybody here has any experience with the school and specifically the department?? Is iit a somewhat respected program?

I have also been admitted into the Physics MS program at California State University, Los Angeles as well, but am leaning now towards Long Beach since I have not heard too good of things about the CSULA campus.

Both of these programs are inexepensive money wise, and I am using them as a stepping stone to get admitted into a PhD program one day.

Both programs start in the Spring11 semester, so I am not sure right now which one to attend.

Any thoughts on this will be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
in advance.I have not heard anything directly about either of these programs, but I do know that Cal State Long Beach has a good reputation overall and is known for its strong science programs. From what I can tell, the Applied Physics program is fairly new and does not appear to have a lot of alumni reviews, but the faculty and staff seem to be well-qualified and the curriculum looks solid. As for CSULA, I'm not as familiar with its Physics programs but I have heard that the campus in general can be a bit rough. Ultimately, it's up to you to decide which program fits your needs and goals best, but I wouldn't worry too much about either of them being a bad choice. Good luck!

Related to MS Applied Physics @ Cal State Long Beach?

1. What is the curriculum like for the MS Applied Physics program at Cal State Long Beach?

The MS Applied Physics program at Cal State Long Beach offers a diverse curriculum that covers topics such as quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, statistical mechanics, and solid state physics. Students also have the opportunity to choose from electives in areas like optics, biophysics, and astrophysics.

2. Can I pursue research opportunities while completing the MS Applied Physics program at Cal State Long Beach?

Yes, the program offers research opportunities to students through its partnership with local research institutions and industries. Students can also work with faculty members on research projects and have the option to complete a thesis or comprehensive exam as a culminating experience.

3. What are the admission requirements for the MS Applied Physics program at Cal State Long Beach?

To apply for the program, applicants must have a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field with a GPA of 3.0 or higher. They must also submit GRE scores, letters of recommendation, and a personal statement outlining their academic and career goals.

4. How long does it take to complete the MS Applied Physics program at Cal State Long Beach?

The program can be completed in two years of full-time study or three years of part-time study. The exact length of time may vary depending on a student's course load and whether they choose to complete a thesis or comprehensive exam.

5. What career opportunities are available for graduates of the MS Applied Physics program at Cal State Long Beach?

Graduates of the program have a wide range of career options in industries such as aerospace, defense, biotechnology, and renewable energy. They can also pursue further education in a PhD program or work in research and development positions in academia or industry.