How Does the Normalizer of a Stabilizer Influence Transitivity on Fixed Points?

• Thread starter math_grl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    stabilizer
In summary, we have shown that the normalizer of $H$, denoted $N$, acts transitively on the fixpoints of $H$, denoted $F$. This can be shown by either showing that the orbit of any element in $F$ is the entire set $F$, or by showing that given any two elements in $F$, there exists an element in $N$ that maps one to the other.
math_grl

Homework Statement

G acts transitively on S and let H be the stabilizer of s. Show that the normalizer of H, call it N, acts transitively on the fixpoints of H, call it F, where s is some element in S.

Homework Equations

Two different ways of showing this:
Either we show the orbit for any element in the fixpoints is the entire set of fixpoints
or we show that given any two fixpoints that there is an element in the normalizer such that it we can apply it to one of those elements and get the other one.

The Attempt at a Solution

There must be some trick or something small I'm missing.
Since G is tran. on S and F is a subset of S, then [tex]\forall s, t \in F, \exists g \in G[/tex] so that [tex]g s = t \Rightarrow s = g^{-1}t[/tex]

Now [tex] ghs = ghg^{-1}t = h't = t[/tex] if and only if we can show that [tex]g \in N[/tex] since [tex]ghh'(gh)^{-1} = g(hh'h^{-1})g^{-1} \in N[/tex] whenever [tex]g \in N[/tex] and we have found our element in N, namely gh. I'm stuck, don't even know if I'm going in the right direction.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The second approach: Let s, t \in F. Then \exists h \in H so that hs = s and ht = t. Then \exists n \in N so that nhn^{-1} = k \in H \Rightarrow n(hs) = nk(n^{-1}t) \Rightarrow nt = (nhn^{-1})t = kt = t. So we have found our n \in N so that when applied to one fixpoint we get the other one. I am really stuck and I don't know if I'm even going in the right direction. Any help would be appreciated. A:Let $F$ be the set of fixed points of $H$, and let $s,t \in F$. Since $G$ acts transitively on $S$, there exists $g \in G$ such that $g(s) = t$. Since $H$ is the stabilizer of $s$, it follows that $gHg^{-1}$ is the stabilizer of $t$. We also know that $gHg^{-1} \subseteq N$ since $N$ is the normalizer of $H$. Hence, $gHg^{-1} \in N$.Now, let $h \in H$ be arbitrary. Then $ghg^{-1} \in gHg^{-1} \subseteq N$. It follows that$$(ghg^{-1})(s) = g(h(g^{-1}(s))) = g(h(s)) = g(s) = t.$$Since $h \in H$ was arbitrary, we have shown that every element of $N$ maps $s$ to $t$. Hence, $N$ acts transitively on $F$.

Related to How Does the Normalizer of a Stabilizer Influence Transitivity on Fixed Points?

1. What is the "normalizer" in the context of stabilizer actions?

The normalizer is a subgroup of a given group that contains all elements that commute with a specific subgroup. In the context of stabilizer actions, the normalizer refers to the subgroup of a group that stabilizes a particular subset of elements.

2. How does the normalizer act on a stabilizer?

The normalizer acts on a stabilizer by permuting the elements within the stabilizer. This means that for any element in the stabilizer, the normalizer will map it to another element within the stabilizer.

3. What is the significance of the normalizer acting on a stabilizer?

The normalizer acting on a stabilizer is significant because it determines the structure of the stabilizer subgroup. It provides information on the possible symmetries and invariances of the elements within the stabilizer.

4. How is the normalizer related to the centralizer in stabilizer actions?

The normalizer and the centralizer are closely related in stabilizer actions. The centralizer is a subgroup of the normalizer that contains all elements that commute with every element in the stabilizer. In other words, the centralizer is a subset of the normalizer.

5. Can the normalizer and the centralizer be equal in stabilizer actions?

Yes, the normalizer and the centralizer can be equal in stabilizer actions. This means that all elements that commute with the stabilizer are also contained within the stabilizer. In this case, the stabilizer is called a self-normalizing subgroup.