Order of Reaction from Halflife times

In summary, the conversation discusses the order of a reaction based on given half-life values. One person argues that it is first order because the half-life remains constant, while the other argues it is second order because the time between the two half-lives doubles. Ultimately, it appears that the answer is second order, but the ambiguity of the wording may have led to confusion.
JwdePhysics

Homework Statement

A -> Products
The two half-lives are 34 minutes and 68 minutes respectively. Find the order of the reaction.

So I and my friends are having disagreements over whether this is first order or second order or not.

Homework Equations

For first order half-life, t = 0.693/k
For second order half-life, t = 1/([A]0k)

The Attempt at a Solution

I say it's first order because the first half life occurs at 34 minutes. Then the second half life occurs at 68 minutes (34 minutes after the first half-life). Therefore the half-life doesn't change and you would have a first-order half-life

My friends say it's second order because they interpret the problem as the second half-life occurring 68 minutes after the first half-life. And so if that were true, the half-life would double in time according to the second order half-life equation ([A]0 would get cut in half from the first half life, doubling the entire right side of the equation and therefore doubling the time).

Who is right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like it is more about ambiguity and poor wording than about chemistry.

Strictly speaking, the answer is second order. If the concentration has fallen to half the initial value after t1, and to a quarter after t2 (from the start), then the first half life is t1 and the second half life is (t2-t1). t2 is not a half life, but a quarter-life. So your friend is right, but I'm not sure the framer of the question was using language so precisely. I must admit I assumed it was first order on first reading the question.
(On a pedantic point of style, the half life is a length of time, not a point in time. So the first half life is 34 minutes, it does not "occur at" t = 34 minutes. This may be aiding the confusion.)

1. What is the order of reaction from halflife times?

The order of reaction is a measure of how the concentration of reactants affects the rate of a chemical reaction. It is determined by analyzing the change in concentration of reactants over time, specifically by looking at the halflife times.

2. How is the order of reaction calculated from halflife times?

The order of reaction can be calculated by using the equation: order of reaction = (log2)/(log(halflife of second trial/halflife of first trial)). This equation compares the halflife times of two different trials and calculates the ratio between them.

3. What is the significance of determining the order of reaction from halflife times?

Determining the order of reaction is important in understanding the rate of a chemical reaction. It helps scientists predict how changes in concentration of reactants will affect the rate of the reaction, and can also provide insight into the mechanism of the reaction.

4. Can the order of reaction change over time?

No, the order of reaction is a constant value for a specific reaction at a given temperature. It does not change over time, but it can vary depending on the concentration of reactants and the presence of catalysts.

5. How do experimental errors affect the determination of order of reaction from halflife times?

Experimental errors, such as inaccurate measurements or external factors affecting the reaction, can lead to incorrect determination of the order of reaction from halflife times. It is important to minimize these errors in order to obtain accurate results.