Plotting a Function in Gnuplot with Range: 0<z<3, -5<x<5, -5<y<5

In summary, plotting a function in Gnuplot with a range of 0<z<3, -5<x<5, -5<y<5 involves using the command "splot" followed by the function and specifying the range of values for the x, y, and z variables. This allows for a 3-dimensional plot to be created, with the z-axis representing the values of the function at each point. The range of values specified helps to limit the plot to a specific region, allowing for a more focused and accurate representation of the function.
Pessoa
I want to plot in gnuplot the function , with the range being:

c06a7dd2d438f9fbfc5e2fd7b939cd73.gif

0<z<3
-5<x<5
-5<y<5

What is the command?

Thanks in advance, fellows.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I think it is the set range command. I'm not sure of the syntax, but it's something like set xrange [-5:5]. You might want to check that in the help file.

Last edited:
set xrange[-5:5]
set yrange[-5:5]
set zrange[0:3]
splot -x*x/8.0 - y*y/8.0 + 2

Related to Plotting a Function in Gnuplot with Range: 0<z<3, -5<x<5, -5<y<5

1. What is Gnuplot?

Gnuplot is a command-line program used for creating 2D and 3D plots of mathematical functions and data. It is commonly used in scientific and engineering fields for data visualization.

2. How do I plot a function in Gnuplot?

To plot a function in Gnuplot, you need to first open the program and enter the function in the command line. For example, to plot the function f(x) = x^2, you would type "plot x**2". You can also specify the range and other parameters for the plot.

3. What is the range in Gnuplot?

The range in Gnuplot refers to the values on the x, y, and z axes that will be included in the plot. In the example of "0

4. How do I specify a range in Gnuplot?

To specify a range in Gnuplot, you can use the "set xrange", "set yrange", and "set zrange" commands followed by the desired range values. For example, to specify a range of -10 to 10 on the x axis, you would type "set xrange [-10:10]".

5. Can I plot multiple functions with different ranges in Gnuplot?

Yes, you can plot multiple functions with different ranges in Gnuplot by using the "multiplot" command. This allows you to create multiple plots within one graph. You can also use the "set multiplot layout" command to specify the layout of the plots.