Possible Measures of Angle C in Triangle ABC with Given Equation

• Thread starter utkarshakash
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses rearranging equations in a triangle to prove that the angle opposite to a side of length c is either 45° or 135° if a certain condition is met. The conversation also mentions using the expansion of (a^2+b^2-c^2)^2 to solve the problem.
utkarshakash
Gold Member

Homework Statement

If in a triangle ABC, [itex]a^4+b^4+c^4=2c^2(a^2+b^2)[/itex], prove that c=45° or 135°

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Rearranging I have

[itex](a^c-c^2)^2+b^2(b^2-2c^2)=0 \\

cos C=\dfrac{a^2+b^2-c^2}{2ab} \\
a^2-c^2=2abcosC-b^2[/itex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
utkarshakash said:

Homework Statement

If in a triangle ABC, [itex]a^4+b^4+c^4=2c^2(a^2+b^2), prove that c=45° or 135°
You have things tangled up here, I believe. The lowercase letters a, b, and c typically represent the lengths of the sides. The uppercase letters A, B, and C typically represent the angle measures. Angle C would be the angle across from the side of length c. It's confusing to me that you use c for what appears to be a side length and an angle.

utkarshakash said:

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Rearranging I have

[itex](a^c-c^2)^2+b^2(b^2-2c^2)=0 \\

cos c=\dfrac{a^2+b^2-c^2}{2ab} \\
a^2-c^2=2abcosC-b^2[/itex]

Mark44 said:
You have things tangled up here, I believe. The lowercase letters a, b, and c typically represent the lengths of the sides. The uppercase letters A, B, and C typically represent the angle measures. Angle C would be the angle across from the side of length c. It's confusing to me that you use c for what appears to be a side length and an angle.

I have edited the question. Please see again.

Start by investigating the expansion of ##(a^2+b^2-c^2)^2##. Its pretty straightforward after that.

Pranav-Arora said:
Start by investigating the expansion of ##(a^2+b^2-c^2)^2##. Its pretty straightforward after that.

Thanks

1. What does the variable "c" represent in the statement "Prove that c=45 or 135"?

In this statement, "c" represents a numerical value that is either 45 or 135.

2. What does it mean to "prove" that c=45 or 135?

Proving that c=45 or 135 means to provide evidence or a logical argument that supports the statement that c is equal to either 45 or 135.

3. How can one prove that c=45 or 135?

One can prove that c=45 or 135 by using mathematical techniques such as substitution, algebraic manipulation, or logical reasoning to show that both sides of the equation are equal.

4. What is the significance of the values 45 and 135 in this statement?

The values 45 and 135 are significant because they are the only possible solutions for c in the statement. In other words, if you can prove that c=45 or 135, then you have shown that there are no other possible values for c.

5. Is it possible for c to have a value other than 45 or 135 in this statement?

No, it is not possible for c to have a value other than 45 or 135 in this statement. The statement explicitly states that c can only be equal to one of these two values, and if it were to have any other value, then the statement would be false.