Projectile Motion in 2d with Drag

In summary: The component in the y direction is ky'√(x'2+y'2).In summary, the conversation discusses the challenge of finding the instantaneous velocity of a dart from a "Monkey Gun" at a certain time due to the impact of x and y components on each other. The equations F=ma and F_d=.5ρC_DA v^2 are mentioned, and a derived equation for instantaneous velocity is provided. It is noted that there is no analytic solution for this problem and numerical methods must be used. The possibility of pretending drag is linear for an analytic solution is also mentioned. The conversation then discusses the wrongness of writing mx'' = - k(x')^2 and my'' = -k(y')^
nathanthegreat

Homework Statement

So, I'm building a "Monkey Gun" and I want to be able to find the instantaneous velocity of my dart at a certain time. I shoot the gun at some angle, θ. The problem is, if I divide the velocity into x and y components, each depends on and impacts the other (the force from the direction will change the x velocity, changing the total velocity, changing the y velocity, etc.). I did a quick calculation assuming the dart remained at 60 m/s and I found a change in velocity of about 25 m/s, which is quite substantial. I know it won't actually be this much because the dart doesn't remain at 60 m/s, but it will still impact the dart.

I know I can mainly just ignore air resistance because the target is a decent size, but this is something I want to know for future experiments.

Homework Equations

$$F=ma$$ $$F_d =.5 \rho C_D A v^2$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I derived an equation for the instantaneous velocity for a freely falling object and got $$v(t)=√((mg-(mg-kv_0^2)e^((-2k)/m(∆t)))/k)$$. Now how can I find something like this in two dimensions? I know the y component will need to divided into a function for when the projectile is going up and a different one when it is coming down.

-Nathan

Physics news on Phys.org
You are quite right that if you take drag as proportional to the square of the speed then the horizontal drag is affected by the vertical speed, and v.v. There is no analytic solution; you'll need to use numerical methods. There are many references on the net. Some pretend drag is linear in order to get an analytic solution.

Why is it wrong to write
mx'' = - k(x')^2
my'' = -k(y')^2 - mg

these equations are uncoupled and it looks to me like they are solvable by
u = dx/dt
v = dy/dt
then separation of variables to get u and v, then solve the 1st order equations by separation again or some other way? Not that I've done it ...

Just asking, not asserting ...

The force due to the drag is ## -k v \vec{v} ##.

rude man said:
Why is it wrong to write
mx'' = - k(x')^2
my'' = -k(y')^2 - mg
The total drag is k(x'2+y'2). The component in the x direction is k(x'2+y'2) * x'/√(x'2+y'2) = kx'√(x'2+y'2).

1. What is projectile motion in 2d with drag?

Projectile motion in 2d with drag refers to the motion of an object that is launched into the air at an angle with a force acting on it, known as drag force, due to air resistance. This results in a curved path instead of a straight line.

2. How does air resistance affect projectile motion in 2d with drag?

Air resistance, or drag force, acts in the opposite direction of the motion of the object and increases as the velocity of the object increases. This means that the object will experience a slower and shorter trajectory due to the drag force slowing it down.

3. What factors affect the trajectory of a projectile in 2d with drag?

The trajectory of a projectile in 2d with drag is affected by the initial velocity, angle of launch, mass of the object, and the drag force. The initial velocity and angle of launch determine the initial motion of the object, while the mass and drag force affect the object's acceleration and resulting trajectory.

4. How is the range of a projectile in 2d with drag calculated?

The range of a projectile in 2d with drag can be calculated using the equation R = (v0²sin2θ)/g, where R is the range, v0 is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

5. What is the difference between projectile motion in 2d with drag and without drag?

The main difference between projectile motion in 2d with drag and without drag is the presence of air resistance. In the presence of air resistance, the object experiences a slower and shorter trajectory compared to the ideal case without drag. Additionally, the maximum height and range of the projectile are also affected by the presence of drag force.