Prove equivalence of elementary operations in Gauss Algorithm

In summary: Then you write the multiplication by k as ##ka_1x_1 + ka_2x_2 + ... + ka_nx_n = ky_j##. In summary, the conversation discusses proving that replacing one equation in a system of linear equations by a non-zero multiple of itself does not change the solution of the system. The proposed solution involves multiplying a specific row by a non-zero constant and proving that this does not affect the solution of the system. It is noted that this proof does not require induction and can be made clearer by using mathematical notation.
4Fun

Homework Statement

Prove that replacing one equation in a system of linear equations by a non-zero multiple of itself does not change the solution of the system.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm still relatively new to proofs, so this is what I have come up with:

Let S be a system of n equations and n unknowns and assume that S has a unique solution(is this assumption too strong?). Also assume that the other two elementary operations do not change the solution of S.
Let j be an arbitrary row and multiply row j by a non-zero constant k.
Now during the elimination process: Let i be the row that includes the current pivot element. Assume i<j, so that the element in the column of the pivot element in row j has to be eliminated. Assume that prior to multiplying row j by the constant k, you would have had to add a-times the i-th row to row j to eliminate the specific element. Since row j was multiplied by k, you now have to add a*k-times row i to row j in order to eliminate that element.

Well now I'm wondering wether this is basically sufficient to prove equivalence, or whether I should use induction to prove that this is valid for all elimination steps?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are doing quite well -- your proof is basically fine. You need not assume that S has a unique solution; if it doesn't multiplication of a row won't change that. You wrote one thing you didn't quite mean (it's really more like a typo) at the bottom of the second paragraph; you have to add a*k... I'm sure you meant multiply.

You were quite right to say that you were assuming the other elementary operations do not affect the solution. You do not need induction because you did not reference the size of the system in your proof.

One way to make these proofs clearer is to write as much as you can in mathematical notation. You can say -- let's consider the case that n = 3, without loss of generality. Write that the jth row is qx + ry + sz = t and after multiplication by k you have qkx+ rky+ skz = tk. Then say whatever you have to say about the ith row, again in mathematical notation.

If you are nervous about writing "without loss of generality" because you aren't sure whether that is the case, you write that the jth row is ##a_1x_1 + a_2x_2 + ... + a_nx_n = y_j##.

1. What is the Gauss algorithm and why is it important?

The Gauss algorithm, also known as Gaussian elimination, is a method for solving systems of linear equations. It is important because it allows for efficient and accurate solutions to complex equations, which are often used in scientific and mathematical fields.

2. What are elementary operations in the Gauss algorithm?

The elementary operations in the Gauss algorithm include swapping rows, multiplying a row by a nonzero constant, and adding a multiple of one row to another row. These operations are used to transform a system of equations into an equivalent system with a simpler form.

3. How do you prove the equivalence of elementary operations in the Gauss algorithm?

The equivalence of elementary operations in the Gauss algorithm can be proven by showing that each operation preserves the solution set of the original system of equations. This can be done by demonstrating that each operation can be reversed and does not change the solution set.

4. Can the Gauss algorithm be used for any type of system of equations?

Yes, the Gauss algorithm can be used for any system of linear equations, regardless of the number of variables or equations. It is a general method that can be applied to a wide range of mathematical problems.

5. Are there any limitations to the Gauss algorithm?

While the Gauss algorithm is a powerful and versatile method, it does have limitations. It cannot be used for systems of equations that are not linear, and it may not provide a unique solution for systems with infinitely many solutions or no solutions at all.