Proving the Shift Theorem in an Inverse Fourier Transform

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the inverse Fourier transform of the product of e^{i\omega \beta} and F(\omega), given that F(\omega) is the Fourier transform of f(x). The conversation includes relevant equations and an attempt at a solution, which results in a reversed sign error. The speaker asks for help in identifying where the error occurred.
mjordan2nd

Homework Statement

We are asked to prove that if [tex]F(\omega )[/tex] is the Fourier transform of f(x) then prove that the inverse Fourier transform of [tex]e^{i\omega \beta}F(\omega)[/tex] is [tex]f(x-\beta )[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]F(\omega)=\frac{1}{2\pi}\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}f(x)e^{i\omega x}dx[/tex]
[tex]f(x)=\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}F(\omega)e^{-i\omega x}d\omega[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

We want to find the inverse Fourier transform of [tex]\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}F(\omega)e^{i\omega \beta}e^{-i\omega x}[/tex]

Setting [tex]k=\beta - x[/tex]

[tex]\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}F(\omega)e^{i\omega \beta -x}d\omega = \int^{\infty}_{-\infty}F(\omega)e^{i\omega k}d\omega=f(k)=f(\beta -x)[/tex]

I seem to have the signs reversed in my answer. Could anyone help me spot where I missed a sign change please. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
For some reason my edits aren't showing up...

Could anyone help me out?

Related to Proving the Shift Theorem in an Inverse Fourier Transform

What is the Shift Theorem in an Inverse Fourier Transform?

The Shift Theorem in an Inverse Fourier Transform is a mathematical property that states shifting a function in the time domain by a certain amount will result in a phase shift in the frequency domain. This means that a function's Fourier Transform will be multiplied by a complex exponential, which represents the phase shift.

What is the formula for the Shift Theorem in an Inverse Fourier Transform?

The formula for the Shift Theorem in an Inverse Fourier Transform is g(t-a) e-2πiafG(f), where g(t) is the original function, a is the amount of shift in the time domain, f is the frequency, and G(f) is the Fourier Transform of g(t).

How is the Shift Theorem proven in an Inverse Fourier Transform?

The Shift Theorem is proven in an Inverse Fourier Transform by using the integral definition of the Fourier Transform and applying a change of variable. This involves substituting t-a for t in the integral and using Euler's formula to simplify the complex exponential term. The result will be the formula mentioned above.

What is the significance of the Shift Theorem in signal processing?

The Shift Theorem is significant in signal processing because it allows for easier analysis and manipulation of signals in the frequency domain. By shifting a signal in the time domain, we can easily determine the resulting phase shift in the frequency domain, which can help in filtering, compression, and other signal processing techniques.

Can the Shift Theorem be applied to other transforms?

Yes, the Shift Theorem can be applied to other transforms, such as the Laplace Transform and the Z-Transform. In these cases, the formula for the Shift Theorem may look slightly different, but the principle remains the same - shifting a function in the time domain will result in a phase shift in the transformed domain.