Quantifying the effects of physical exercise on cognition

In summary, there is evidence suggesting that exercise can benefit cognition. However, it is unclear how to effectively incorporate exercise into daily routines for optimal results. Robert Thayer's research on regulating mood and energy levels through exercise and nutrition may provide some useful guidelines for individuals seeking to improve their cognitive functioning.
FallenApple
We all know that there's plenty of evidence showing that exercise does benefit cognition.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3951958/

The real question is how can I actually use this in practice to get real world results.

So if I spend 8 hours a day studying a certain subject/trade, would I be better at that subject if I did 7hrs study and 1 hour exercise? Would the exercise more than make up for the lost time studying?

Biology news on Phys.org
FallenApple said:
The real question is how can I actually use this in practice to get real world results.

If we knew that, you'd probably get a lecture from your doctor during each visit that was more than, "Get more exercise". :wink:

FallenApple said:

Robert Thayer, who died not that long ago, was fairly well known in psychology as a pioneer in studying how people can better regulate their mood & energy level (and thus their alertness & ability to concentrate) through eating well and exercising in small doses during the day. He also studied why some people dislike exercise and how they can get around that barrier. This was his most recent book; the first few chapters focus on the studies he did, however later chapters provide self-study & self-help guidelines you might find useful.

Calm Energy: How People Regulate Mood with Food and Exercise, by Robert E. Ph.D Thayer - https://www.amazon.com/dp/0195163397/?tag=pfamazon01-20

What is the relationship between physical exercise and cognition?

Physical exercise has been shown to have a positive impact on cognitive function. Regular exercise has been linked to improved memory, attention, and processing speed. This is due to the fact that exercise increases blood flow and oxygen to the brain, which can help to improve brain function.

How much exercise is needed to see improvements in cognition?

The amount of exercise needed to see improvements in cognition can vary, but most studies suggest that at least 30 minutes of moderate exercise, such as brisk walking, five days a week can have a positive impact on cognitive function. However, any amount of physical activity is better than none and can still have benefits for cognition.

Does the type of exercise matter for its effects on cognition?

Research suggests that both aerobic exercise and resistance training can have positive effects on cognition. Aerobic exercise, such as running or cycling, has been shown to improve memory and attention, while resistance training, such as weightlifting, can improve executive function and decision-making skills.

Can exercise help prevent cognitive decline?

There is growing evidence that regular physical exercise can help to prevent cognitive decline and reduce the risk of developing conditions such as dementia and Alzheimer's disease. Exercise has been shown to promote the growth of new brain cells and protect existing ones, which can help to maintain cognitive function as we age.

Are there any other benefits of exercise on cognition?

In addition to improving cognitive function, exercise has also been linked to improvements in mood, stress reduction, and overall brain health. Exercise can also help to improve sleep quality, which is important for cognitive function. Additionally, exercise can have positive effects on other areas of health, such as cardiovascular health and weight management.