Question about a circuit to be solved with Norton's theorem

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of ignoring a 5-ohm resistor when short circuiting terminals a-b. This is because a zero ohm resistor in parallel with any other resistor will have a total resistance of zero ohms. The speaker thanks the other person for their explanation and realization of their mistake.
link223
Homework Statement
See picture please, it is highlighted in yellow.
Relevant Equations
Norton's theorem
Hello guys, I am new here.
I was wondering whether I could get some help about the highlighted part. What I don't understand is why we are able to ignore the 5-ohms resistor when we have short circuited terminals a-b.

Thanks in advance.
1650705027062.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
link223 said:
What I don't understand is why we are able to ignore the 5-ohms resistor when we have short circuited terminals a-b.
Because a zero ohm resistor in parallel with a 5 ohm, (or any other resistor) is going to be zero ohms.

Likes link223
Baluncore said:
Welcome to PF.

Because a zero ohm resistor in parallel with a 5 ohm, (or any other resistor) is going to be zero ohms.
Thanks! and thanks once again! I didn't think this through then.. makes total sense (also just noticed I was looking at fig(c) not (b) :'D) Thanks though!

1. What is Norton's theorem and how does it differ from other circuit analysis methods?

Norton's theorem is a circuit analysis method that allows us to simplify a complex circuit into a single current source and a parallel resistance. It differs from other methods, such as Thevenin's theorem, in that it uses a current source instead of a voltage source. This makes it useful for circuits with current-dependent elements, such as transistors.

2. When should I use Norton's theorem instead of other circuit analysis methods?

Norton's theorem is most useful when analyzing circuits with current-dependent elements, as mentioned before. It is also helpful when there are multiple sources in the circuit, as it allows us to combine them into a single current source. Additionally, it is often used when the circuit has a large number of resistors in parallel, as it simplifies the calculations.

3. How do I find the Norton equivalent circuit of a given circuit?

To find the Norton equivalent circuit, you need to first find the equivalent resistance by shorting all voltage sources and opening all current sources. Then, calculate the short-circuit current by dividing the voltage across the shorted terminals by the equivalent resistance. Finally, replace the original circuit with a current source equal to the short-circuit current and a parallel resistance equal to the equivalent resistance.

4. Can I use Norton's theorem for circuits with AC sources?

Yes, Norton's theorem can be applied to both DC and AC circuits. However, the calculations may be more complex for AC circuits as they involve calculating complex impedances instead of resistances.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using Norton's theorem?

One limitation of Norton's theorem is that it can only be used for linear circuits. Non-linear elements, such as diodes and transistors, cannot be analyzed using this method. Additionally, it may not be the most efficient method for circuits with a small number of resistors or a single source. In those cases, other methods may be more suitable.