R-module homomorphisms isomorphic to codomain

In summary, we showed that for a commutative ring R and an R-module M, the set of R-module homomorphisms from R to M is isomorphic to M as R-modules. This is proven by defining a mapping from Hom_R-mod(R,M) to M that sends a function f to f(1_R) and showing that it is an injective R-module homomorphism. To prove surjectivity, we can define the function in a way that forces it to be an R-module homomorphism, using the fact that R is commutative.
Kreizhn

Homework Statement

Let R be a commutative ring, and M be an R-module. Show that
[tex] \text{Hom}_{\text{R-mod}}(R,M) \cong M [/tex]
as R-modules, where the homomorphisms are R-module homomorphisms.

The Attempt at a Solution

This should hopefully be quick and easy. The most natural mapping to consider is
[itex] \phi: \text{Hom}_{\text{R-mod}}(R,M) \to M [/itex] sending [itex] f \to f(1_R) [/itex]. It is simple to show that this is a R-mod homomorphism, and that it is injective. Where I am stuck is surjectivity.

The first thing that comes to mind is that I want to use constant maps; however, these are not R-mod homs. Secondly, I've realized that I have not yet used the fact that the ring is commutative. I'm wondering if somehow f(rs) = rf(s) = sf(r) comes into play.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Kreizhn! :smile:

To prove surjectivity, you must prove that every m in M is in the image of the isomorphism. So you need to find a function f such that [itex]f(1_R)=m[/itex]. Can you extend this equation to fully define f? (hint: [itex]f(r)=f(r.1_R)[/itex].

Ah, I think I see what you're saying. We can just define the function in such a way that it forces it to be an R-module homomorphism by demanding that
[tex] f(r) = rf(1) = rm[/tex]
Then the function is a homomorphism since M is an R-module.

Kreizhn said:
Ah, I think I see what you're saying. We can just define the function in such a way that it forces it to be an R-module homomorphism by demanding that
[tex] f(r) = rf(1) = rm[/tex]
Then the function is a homomorphism since M is an R-module.

Yes, that's it!

1. What is an R-module homomorphism?

An R-module homomorphism is a function between two R-modules that preserves the structure of the modules. This means that the function must preserve the addition and scalar multiplication operations of the modules.

2. What does it mean for an R-module homomorphism to be isomorphic?

An R-module homomorphism is isomorphic if it is a bijective homomorphism. This means that the function is both one-to-one and onto, and preserves the structure of the modules.

3. How do you determine if two R-module homomorphisms are isomorphic?

To determine if two R-module homomorphisms are isomorphic, you can check if they are both one-to-one and onto. You can also check if the composition of the two homomorphisms is equal to the identity function.

4. What is the significance of an R-module homomorphism being isomorphic to its codomain?

If an R-module homomorphism is isomorphic to its codomain, it means that the function is a bijection between the two R-modules. This allows for a direct correspondence between elements of the two modules, making it easier to understand the structures of the modules.

5. Can an R-module homomorphism be isomorphic to a different codomain?

Yes, an R-module homomorphism can be isomorphic to a different codomain. This means that the function is a bijection between the two modules, but they may have different structures. This can be useful in certain mathematical constructions and proofs.