Regular expressions with google web search

In summary: I've tried it and it doesn't seem to work. I would need to know what kind of data I need to provide in order for google to find it.
serbring
Hi all,

Cam google web search accepet regular expressions? Especially, I need to search strings with any number between two words, for example: "vehicle runs at XXX km/h".

Thank you

Computer science news on Phys.org
"vehicle runs at *** km/h" returns entries containing

vehicle runs at less than 60 km/h
Vehicle runs at speed of 70 km/h

and so on

DrSteve said:
"vehicle runs at *** km/h" returns entries containing

vehicle runs at less than 60 km/h
Vehicle runs at speed of 70 km/h

and so on

Three * means you are searching for three separate words. Indeed, both "less than 60" and "spee of 70" contain three words.
This is a straightforward case, because "*" followed by a unit (km/h) push the "*" to be a number.
Borek said:
As far as I know - no. Actually google engine is quite limited - it has to, to be so fast.

https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/2466433?hl=en

Thank you. I haven't found that list. But I think it might be solved by forcing a reasonable number range. As example:
"Engine runs *"-> 150'000 results
"Engine runs 1800..2500" -> 10'000 results and "engine runs" is actually followed by numbers.

Thanks

The .. operator creates a numeric search range .

eg Cameras £50..£300

Problem is that not much online technical data will be in a suitable format for Google to find .

Using search formats like ' Effect of speed on engine performance ' or ' drag on vehicles at high speed ' will usually generate much more information but you will then have to sift it manually .

http://www.googleguide.com/advanced_operators_reference.html

Nidum said:
The .. operator creates a numeric search range .

eg Cameras £50..£300

Problem is that not much online technical data will be in a suitable format for Google to find .

Using search formats like ' Effect of speed on engine performance ' or ' drag on vehicles at high speed ' will usually generate much more information but you will then have to sift it manually .

http://www.googleguide.com/advanced_operators_reference.html

Thanks,
you're on right and the link is really precious

1. What are regular expressions and how are they used with Google web search?

Regular expressions are a sequence of characters that define a search pattern. They are used with Google web search to help refine and narrow down search results based on specific patterns or criteria.

2. How do I use regular expressions in my Google web search?

To use regular expressions in Google web search, you can type in your search query followed by the desired pattern in quotation marks. For example, if you are looking for websites that contain the word "cat" followed by any three-letter word, you can type in "cat [a-z]{3}" in the search bar.

3. Can regular expressions be used to search for specific words or phrases on a webpage?

Yes, regular expressions can be used to search for specific words or phrases on a webpage. By using the "Ctrl+F" shortcut on your keyboard, you can open the find feature and enter your regular expression in the search bar to find all instances of that pattern on the webpage.

4. Are there any resources or tools available to help me learn and use regular expressions with Google web search?

Yes, there are many online resources and tools available to help you learn and use regular expressions with Google web search. Some popular resources include the Google search documentation, regular expression cheat sheets, and online tutorials.

5. Can regular expressions be used to search for complex patterns or criteria?

Yes, regular expressions can be used to search for complex patterns or criteria. They allow for advanced search capabilities and can be combined with other search operators to refine your search results even further.