Related rates equation problem

In summary: So it would take him 3.125 seconds to go the length of the pool and 5 seconds to go the width.In summary, the boy swims a total of 3.125 seconds at a speed of 5 ft/s to and from the girl at 25 ft. away.
Bionerd

Homework Statement

A boy is standing 50 ft. from the end of a swimming pool when he sees a girl 25 ft. along the end. He can swim 3 ft/s and run 5 ft/s. If he runs x feet, set up an equation for time consumed.

Homework Equations

There is a visual aid: A rectangle with length labeled 50 ft and a dot B designating where the boy is, and with a width labeled 25 ft and a dot G designating where the girl is.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I have to set up a triangle, with my y-axis being the length (where the girl is, making my dy/dt= 3 ft/s) and the x-axis being the width (dx/dt=5 ft/s) Past this, I really don't know. I tried this:

Since he is running x ft, the 50 ft must be losing x, and the 25 ft must be gaining x. So y/x=(25+x)/(50-x) However, I need t in there. If I integrate dy/dt, I will be left with a c that I'm not sure how to get rid of. So yeah, I'm really stumped on this one.

I know it's kinda hard to visualize, so any help at all would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bionerd said:

Homework Statement

A boy is standing 50 ft. from the end of a swimming pool when he sees a girl 25 ft. along the end. He can swim 3 ft/s and run 5 ft/s. If he runs x feet, set up an equation for time consumed.

Homework Equations

There is a visual aid: A rectangle with length labeled 50 ft and a dot B designating where the boy is, and with a width labeled 25 ft and a dot G designating where the girl is.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I have to set up a triangle, with my y-axis being the length (where the girl is, making my dy/dt= 3 ft/s) and the x-axis being the width (dx/dt=5 ft/s) Past this, I really don't know. I tried this:

Since he is running x ft, the 50 ft must be losing x, and the 25 ft must be gaining x. So y/x=(25+x)/(50-x) However, I need t in there. If I integrate dy/dt, I will be left with a c that I'm not sure how to get rid of. So yeah, I'm really stumped on this one.

I know it's kinda hard to visualize, so any help at all would be appreciated.

You haven't given enough information! For example, if he is standing on the right of the swimming pool and the girl is also to the right of the swimming pool, I can see no reason for him swimming at all!

He is standing in the lower right corner, she in the upper left.

Bionerd said:
He is standing in the lower right corner, she in the upper left.

That completely contradicts what you originally said:
What you meant, I think is that the swimming pool is 50 feet long and 25 feet wide, the boy and girl are at opposite corners. That's quite different from saying "A boy is standing 50 ft. from the end of a swimming pool"!

He runs x feet along the length of the pool leaving 50-x to the end. That does NOT "add" anything to the 25 foot width. He swims along the hypotenuse of a right triangle having one leg 50-x and the other 25. The distance he swims is [itex]\sqrt{(50-x)^2+ 25^2}=\sqrt{3125- 100x+ x^2}[/itex]. The time it takes to go a given distance is that distance divided by the speed.

Related to Related rates equation problem

1. What is a related rates equation problem?

A related rates equation problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the rate of change of one variable with respect to another variable. This is usually done using derivatives and involves setting up an equation that relates the two variables.

2. How do I solve a related rates equation problem?

To solve a related rates equation problem, you first need to identify the variables that are changing and how they are related. Then, you can use calculus to find the derivatives of these variables and plug them into the related rates equation. Finally, you can solve for the desired rate of change.

3. What are some common examples of related rates equation problems?

Some common examples of related rates equation problems include problems involving rates of change in geometric figures, such as the changing area of a circle or the changing volume of a cone. Other examples include problems involving rates of change in physics, such as the changing velocity of an object or the changing temperature of a substance.

4. What are some tips for solving related rates equation problems?

One tip for solving related rates equation problems is to draw a diagram to help visualize the problem and identify the changing variables. Another tip is to always label the variables and their rates of change in the diagram, and to use the chain rule when taking derivatives. It is also helpful to check your answer to make sure it makes sense in the context of the problem.

5. Are there any resources available for practicing related rates equation problems?

Yes, there are many online resources and textbooks available that provide practice problems and step-by-step solutions for related rates equation problems. Some websites also offer interactive tools and quizzes to help with understanding and practicing these types of problems.