Resistance in a lump of copper

In summary, the conversation is discussing the calculation of resistance for a 1cm^3 piece of copper with a thickness of 0.5mm, given a resistivity of 1.69x10^-8 Ohm metres. The formula R = pL/A is mentioned, but there is uncertainty about how to obtain L and A from just the volume and thickness. The question is then expanded to consider the resistance of a larger piece of copper with varying dimensions and how the direction of current flow may affect the resistance.
T7
Hi,

Part of a question I am working on asks me to "calculate the resistance of 1cm^3 of copper in the form of a thin sheet 0.5mm thick (between the faces of the sheet), given a resistivity of 1.69x10^-8 Ohm metres".

Given that p = RA/L, it is clear that R = pL/A = 1.69x10^-8 x L/A. So far, so good. But I am not sure that I can obtain L and A from merely a volume (1cm^3) and a thickness without making some assumption about its shape (a square sheet, perhaps)? Am I missing something?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
T7,

What's the resistance of a 1cm x 2cm x 3cm piece of copper?

jdavel said:
T7,

What's the resistance of a 1cm x 2cm x 3cm piece of copper?

Doesn't it depend on which side the current is going through (ie. which sides make up the area)?

t7,

"Doesn't it depend on which side the current is going through (ie. which sides make up the area)?"

Absolutely! So, let's say the current is in the direction of the longest dimension (3cm). What's the resistance of that "wire"?

What is resistance?

Resistance is the measure of an object's opposition to the flow of electric current. It is measured in ohms (Ω).

How is resistance calculated?

Resistance is calculated by dividing the voltage (V) by the current (I). This can be written as R = V/I.

What factors affect resistance in a lump of copper?

The main factors that affect resistance in a lump of copper are the length, cross-sectional area, and temperature of the copper. The longer the copper, the higher the resistance; the larger the cross-sectional area, the lower the resistance; and as temperature increases, resistance also increases.

Why is copper a good conductor of electricity?

Copper is a good conductor of electricity because it has a low resistance due to its high number of free electrons. These free electrons are able to move easily through the copper, allowing for the flow of electric current.

How does temperature affect resistance in copper?

As temperature increases, the resistance in copper also increases. This is because as the temperature rises, the atoms in the copper vibrate more, making it more difficult for free electrons to pass through, resulting in a higher resistance.