Should I Retake the General GRE?

In summary, the individual is contemplating whether or not to retake the general GRE in order to improve their chances of getting into a physics program. They currently have a 700 on quant, 570 on verbal, and 4 on writing from their initial test in 2007, but have since pursued an engineering degree and received a low score of 620 on the Physics GRE. They are now seeking to switch to physics and are wondering if retaking the general GRE is necessary or if a good score on the Physics GRE will suffice. They are also considering taking a year off but have been discouraged from doing so. The individual is hoping to get into several universities, but only has two years of physics coursework and a 3.7 GPA
bjnartowt
Hi all, is it a good idea to re-take the general GRE if your initial scores were so-so?

I mean, my initial scores were Not Bad...I got 700 on quant, 570 verbal, and 4 on writing. But that was back in Feb 2007, and preceeded my seeking an engineering degree.

In the middle of my engineering degree, I took the Physics GRE, and reaped a rather-low 620. I will be re-taking that in November 2010.

Now, I see things differently, and am seeking to go into physics. Should I re-take the General test? Or, if I do Pretty Good on the physics-GRE, will that suffice?

Background (skipable paragraph here): I'm hoping to get into U-Arizona, Rutgers, Penn State, U-Southern California, or U-Florida, or if I get lucky: U-Cal San Diego, U-Maryland, U-Pennsylvania, U-Cal Santa Barbara, or U-Mich Ann Arbor. But: all I have is two years' worth of physics that constitutes a Master's degree, and a 3.7 in grad classes (where grades are definitely inflated). They won't hear about my spring semester unfortunately, which is when I'll be studying Jackson and have some boast-worthy stuff to put on my application. I was also entertaining the notion of taking a year off, but that has been strongly discouraged.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would think if your GRE scores were high enough to get you into grad school in 2007, they would be high enough now. Unless you are applying to much more prestigious programs now than in 2007.

You could also see if the schools you're applying to now publish the average GRE scores of their admitted students and see how you compare.

i would recommend you to take general GRE, your verbal and AWA scores are pretty fine, but the quant score won't please the ad coms, IMO!

1. Should I retake the General GRE if I didn't score as high as I wanted?

It depends on your individual goals and the requirements of the programs you are applying to. If your current score falls within the average range for your desired programs, it may not be necessary to retake the exam. However, if you feel that you could significantly improve your score with additional studying and preparation, it may be worth retaking the exam.

2. How many times can I retake the General GRE?

You can retake the General GRE as many times as you want, but you can only take the exam once every 21 days, up to five times within a 12-month period. After the fifth attempt, you must wait 12 months before taking the exam again.

3. Will taking the General GRE multiple times hurt my chances of admission?

No, most universities only consider your highest score when evaluating your application. However, it is important to check the policies of the programs you are applying to, as some may consider all of your exam scores.

4. Do I need to retake the General GRE if I am applying to a different program?

It depends on the requirements of the program you are applying to. Some programs may require a higher score than others, so it may be beneficial to retake the exam if you did not meet the minimum score for the new program. However, if your score is already competitive for the new program, it may not be necessary to retake the exam.

5. How can I improve my GRE score if I decide to retake the exam?

There are many ways to improve your GRE score, including reviewing content areas that you struggled with, taking practice exams, and seeking out additional resources and study materials. It may also be beneficial to work with a tutor or enroll in a test prep course to help you prepare for the exam.