Simple RL Circuit: Verifying Current Flow After Switch Opened

In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit with a DC power source, two inductors, a resistor, and a switch. The question is whether opening the switch will affect the current in the circuit. It is determined that the 2H inductor is uncharged at t=0 and an impulse voltage causes its current to rise to 5A instantly. The original question is deemed not well thought out and there may be missing elements in the circuit.
kdinser
I posted this is the homework section, but it looks like EE homework problems are getting more attention here.

I'm pretty sure I've got this right, but I would like to make sure before I hand this is.

V=10V DC source
I1 = 1H inductor
I2 = 2H inductor
R = Resistor
S= a switch that has been closed for a long time and is opened at t=0

|----I1---R---|----|
| | |
V I2 S
| | |
|-------------|----|

Am I correct in assuming that opening the switch will have no effect on the current running through I1 and R? In other words, would I be right in assuming that after the switch has been closed for a long time, I2 will become fully charged and can be treated as a short circuit in this simple problem?

Thanks for any help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes your assumption of I2 is a short right before the switch is open. But once S is open something will happen to I1 and R.

PS: On a practical side point of view, do you see a problem with S being closed and parallel with a DC power supply?

If this is an ideal circuit, which means that Rs are Rs and Ls are Ls and nothing else, there is no answer for the question because: at time<0 the I2 inductor and the switch have 0 Ohms, so how big is the current throug the switch and trough I2 ?
I there is a current throug the switch the answer if the same that for the real case.

I this is a real circuit all the current is passing through the switch at time<0.
Once you open the switch there will be a spark across the switch, because the current can't change in inductors in 0 time.

V = L di/dt

I you want to change the current very fast in an inductor the voltage will rise until there is a spark anywhere.

The problem is not so simple beacuse you have two 0 ohms in parallel !

Thanks alvaros, my professor agreed that it was not a well thought out question. According to him, the solution manual indicates that the 2H inductor should be considered uncharged at t=0. I'm wondering if there was supposed to be a resistor in series with the 2H inductor that didn't make it into the final problem.

Either way, when I assume the inductor to be uncharged, I'm able to get the math to come out right. At t=0 the inductor begins charging and after a few seconds, the current rises back up to 5 amps.

kdinser said:
Thanks alvaros, my professor agreed that it was not a well thought out question. According to him, the solution manual indicates that the 2H inductor should be considered uncharged at t=0. I'm wondering if there was supposed to be a resistor in series with the 2H inductor that didn't make it into the final problem.

Either way, when I assume the inductor to be uncharged, I'm able to get the math to come out right. At t=0 the inductor begins charging and after a few seconds, the current rises back up to 5 amps.
An inductor is considered a short circuit only if a constant current flows through it. If the switch is closed at time -infinity, no current flows through I2, so it is uncharged at t = 0.
The problem with the circuit is that at t = 0+, you have two inductors in series, one with a 5A current through it and the other with 0A.
The solution to the problem is that inductor I2 is submitted to an impulse of voltage, so that its current rises instantaneously to 5A.

Related to Simple RL Circuit: Verifying Current Flow After Switch Opened

1. What is a simple RL circuit?

A simple RL (resistor-inductor) circuit is a basic electrical circuit that consists of a resistor, an inductor, and a power source. The inductor is a passive electronic component that stores energy in the form of a magnetic field, while the resistor is a component that resists the flow of electric current.

2. How does current flow in a simple RL circuit?

In a simple RL circuit, current flows from the positive terminal of the power source, through the resistor, and into the inductor. The inductor stores the energy from the current in the form of a magnetic field. As the current continues to flow, the magnetic field in the inductor grows, which in turn causes a back EMF (electromotive force) that opposes the flow of current.

3. What happens when the switch in a simple RL circuit is opened?

When the switch in a simple RL circuit is opened, the circuit is broken and the flow of current stops. This causes the magnetic field in the inductor to collapse, creating a large back EMF that can potentially damage the circuit components. As the magnetic field collapses, it induces a voltage spike that can cause a spark or damage electronic components.

4. How is current flow in a simple RL circuit verified after the switch is opened?

The current flow in a simple RL circuit after the switch is opened can be verified through the use of a multimeter. The multimeter measures the voltage across the inductor, which will initially be high due to the back EMF. As the magnetic field in the inductor dissipates, the voltage will decrease to zero, indicating that the current flow has stopped.

5. What is the purpose of verifying current flow in a simple RL circuit after the switch is opened?

The purpose of verifying current flow in a simple RL circuit after the switch is opened is to ensure that the circuit is functioning correctly and to prevent potential damage to the circuit components. By measuring the voltage across the inductor, we can confirm that the current flow has stopped and that the circuit is not at risk of experiencing a voltage spike. This can also help troubleshoot any potential issues with the circuit.