Single phase universal motor, variable frequency

In summary, the conversation discusses the need to keep the voltage constant while changing the frequency of an A.C. universal motor. The individual seeking help is working on a final project for university and is asking for ideas on how to achieve this. The responder asks for more information on the individual's thoughts and rejected options, as well as a definition of a universal motor and its characteristics. The solution may involve a combination of electrical and magnetic approaches, taking into consideration the resistance, inductance, and magnetic material of the motor.
Cosmin1337
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Homework Template is shown
Summary:: How to keep the same voltage and change the frequency of a A.C. universal motor.

Hello there!

I need some help regarding my final project for the university. I have a universal motor, supplied by a single phase, 220V source. I need to make this motor work at the same voltage, but to change the frequency between 20Hz and 60Hz.

If you have any idea how I can do this, I would be honored to hear your thoughts.

Thank you and have a nice day!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PhysicsForums. :smile:

For schoolwork problems and projects, we require that you show your best efforts before we can offer tutorial help. So what are your thoughts so far? What options have you considered and rejected so far, and why did you reject them?

And can you post a definition of what a "universal motor" is, and why it is called that? Thanks.

An electrical and a magnetic approach will need to be combined.
Investigate the resistance and the inductance of the windings.
Investigate the magnetic material, frequency determined lamination thickness or composite particle size, along with the magnetic cross-section and limits due to magnetic saturation.

1. What is a single phase universal motor?

A single phase universal motor is an electric motor that can operate on both AC and DC power sources. It is commonly used in small appliances and power tools due to its compact size and high power output.

2. What is variable frequency in relation to a single phase universal motor?

Variable frequency refers to the ability of a single phase universal motor to operate at different speeds by adjusting the frequency of the power supply. This allows for greater control and efficiency in various applications.

3. How does a single phase universal motor work?

A single phase universal motor works by using both AC and DC power sources to create a rotating magnetic field. This field interacts with the motor's armature, causing it to rotate and power the device it is connected to.

4. What are the advantages of using a single phase universal motor?

Some advantages of using a single phase universal motor include its compact size, high power output, and ability to operate on both AC and DC power sources. It also has a simple design and is relatively inexpensive to manufacture.

5. What are the common applications of a single phase universal motor?

A single phase universal motor is commonly used in small appliances such as blenders, mixers, and vacuum cleaners. It is also used in power tools like drills and saws, as well as in industrial equipment and machinery.