Sodium dithionite reducing properties of nh3

In summary, this product claims to reduce the toxicity of free ammonia in water by turning it into ammonium. It also reduces chlorine and nitrite and nitrate.
caliban07
What would be the reducing reaction for these in water?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
This probably belongs in the homework section. What are your thoughts so far?

Ok sorry. I believe this is used in some water conditioners to make water safe for aquatic livestock.

There is a particular product that renders nh3 to it's non toxic ionised state nh4. I was told this product was a a reducing agent. I looked up reducing agents and found that a reducing agent is an electron donor yet nh4 is the protonised form of nh3.

I'm not a scientist I am just seeking some basic info on how reducing agents work.

caliban07 said:
nh3 to it's non toxic ionised state nh4
"Non-toxic?" Depends on "context" and the anion (you don't find single ionic species in solution --- I'm reasonably certain you know that), nitrate and/or nitrite are blamed for "blue babies," just about any ammonium salts are implicated in gouty arthritis. Free ammonia in solution implies fairly high pH which is trouble for most aquatic beasties. Phosphoric acid is (if memory serves) the usual additive for dropping pH in aquaria. Bottom line, there's not a whole lot of redox chemistry for ammonia/ammonium in aquaria that does not involve bacterial activity to generate nitrite and nitrate.
caliban07 said:
I'm not a scientist I am just seeking some basic info on how reducing agents work.

Oxidizers remove electrons (or accept electrons --- difference between armed robbery and a bribe) from other chemical species and are reduced in the process. Reducing agents give up electrons to other chemical compounds, and are in the process oxidized.

Some chemicals, families of chemicals, have many oxidation states, others have only one or two. Dithionate is one of many states for sulfur. The family tree runs from sulfide (-2) through sulfate (+6) to peroxydisulfate (+7?), and there are literally more than a dozen steps along the way, thiosulfate, dithionate that take a scorecard for me to keep track of.

Bystander said:
"Non-toxic?" Depends on "context" and the anion (you don't find single ionic species in solution --- I'm reasonably certain you know that), nitrate and/or nitrite are blamed for "blue babies," just about any ammonium salts are implicated in gouty arthritis. Free ammonia in solution implies fairly high pH which is trouble for most aquatic beasties. Phosphoric acid is (if memory serves) the usual additive for dropping pH in aquaria. Bottom line, there's not a whole lot of redox chemistry for ammonia/ammonium in aquaria that does not involve bacterial activity to generate nitrite and nitrate.Oxidizers remove electrons (or accept electrons --- difference between armed robbery and a bribe) from other chemical species and are reduced in the process. Reducing agents give up electrons to other chemical compounds, and are in the process oxidized.

Some chemicals, families of chemicals, have many oxidation states, others have only one or two. Dithionate is one of many states for sulfur. The family tree runs from sulfide (-2) through sulfate (+6) to peroxydisulfate (+7?), and there are literally more than a dozen steps along the way, thiosulfate, dithionate that take a scorecard for me to keep track of.

Well this product claims to turn ammonia into ammonium which is less toxic to aquatic beasties. I know that ph and temperature affect the toxicity percentage of free ammonia and ammonium in aquaria. I was just curious how the product does this. Their website claims that the ingredients are complex hydrosulphite salts. Was just curious how it does it. It also reduces chlorine and nitrite and nitrate. I know that it's the bacterial activity that converts ammonia through to nitrate. Etc

Like I said I'm not a scientist, just curious. Perhaps I came to the wrong place?

Good guess --- that's the first aid wash for halogen burns (excepting fluorine) in the lab. It's a reducing agent, gets oxidized by the Cl giving you Cl- which is reasonably innocuous.

Related to Sodium dithionite reducing properties of nh3

What is sodium dithionite?

Sodium dithionite, also known as sodium hydrosulfite, is a white crystalline powder that is commonly used as a reducing agent in various chemical reactions.

What are the reducing properties of sodium dithionite?

Sodium dithionite is a powerful reducing agent, meaning it has the ability to donate electrons to other substances, causing them to undergo reduction reactions.

How does sodium dithionite reduce NH3?

Sodium dithionite reduces NH3 (ammonia) by donating electrons to its nitrogen atoms, causing them to gain a hydrogen atom and form ammonium ions (NH4+).

What are the applications of sodium dithionite in reducing NH3?

Sodium dithionite is commonly used in the textile industry to remove excess dye from fabrics by reducing the color molecules. It is also used in the production of foods, such as bread and wine, to control the levels of ammonia and other compounds.

Are there any safety precautions when using sodium dithionite for reducing NH3?

Yes, sodium dithionite can be hazardous if not handled properly. It is important to wear protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, and to use it in a well-ventilated area. It can also react violently with certain substances, so it is important to follow proper handling and storage guidelines.