Solve the simultaneous equations

In summary, the two equations that solve for x and y in terms of each other are y = 2.58 and x = 2.5862.
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
##2^{x+y}=6^y##

##3^x=6(2^y)##
Relevant Equations
simultaneous equations
##2^{x+y+1}##=##3^{x+y-1}##
##\frac {x+y+1}{x+y-1}##=##\frac {log 3}{log 2}##
this is where i reached, i just got this problem from my old notes, i do not think we can solve this...

Physics news on Phys.org
chwala said:
Homework Statement:: ##2^{x+y}=6^y##

##3^x=6.2^y##
Relevant Equations:: simultaneous equations

##2^{x+y+1}##=##3^{x+y-1}##
##\frac {x+y+1}{x+y-1}##=##\frac {log 3}{log 2}##
this is where i reached, i just got this problem from my old notes, i do not think we can solve this...
Take the log (in whatever is your favorite log base) of both sides of each equation.

alternatively,
##2^\frac {x+y}{y}##=##6##
##2^\frac {x+y}{y}##=##\frac{3^x}{2^y}##
##2^{x+y}=3^x##
##(x+y) log 2##= ##xlog 3##
on simplifying this i end up with,
##0.5849x=y##

Mark44 said:
Take the log (in whatever is your favorite log base) of both sides of each equation.
ok, but will still need to express ##x## in terms of ##y##...right, just check my subsequent working on this...

Once you have solved for x in terms of y or y in terms of x, just substitute in the other equation.

ok, i get
##3^x=6.2^y##
##xlog 3= log 6+0.5849x log 2##
##0.477x=0.778+0.176x##
##0.477x-0.176x=0.778##
##0.301x=0.778##
##x=2.58##
is this correct? actually i am trying to prove the values i.e
##x=2.5862##
##y=1.5142##
and i can see that these values do not approximate the first equation of the problem...
but interestingly, they satisfy the equation,
##2^{x+y}=3^x## which follows from the original problem...

Last edited:
[tex] x\log(3) = y\log(6.2)[/tex]
[tex] (x+y)\log(2)= x\log(3)[/tex]

now solve for y in the first equation and substitute into the second and solve for x.

I think I already did that...check my posts...

What i meant in post ##6##, is that the values of ##x## and ##y## do not satisfy the original equation, ##2^{x+y}##=##6^y##, but satisfy the other equation ##2^{x+y}=3^x##, that follows from the original problem. I hope I am clear...

chwala said:
ok, i get
##3^x=6.2^y##
##xlog 3= log 6+0.5849x log 2##
I can't tell what you did in the equation above.
If ##3^x = 6.2^y##, then ##x \ln(3) = y \ln(6.2)##
chwala said:
##0.477x=0.778+0.176x##
##0.477x-0.176x=0.778##
##0.301x=0.778##
##x=2.58##
is this correct? actually i am trying to prove the values i.e
##x=2.5862##
##y=1.5142##
Where did these values come from?
If they don't satisfy both equations, they are not a solution to the system of equations.
chwala said:
and i can see that these values do not approximate the first equation of the problem...
but interestingly, they satisfy the equation,
##2^{x+y}=3^x## which follows from the original problem...
It's really irrelevant that they happen to satisfy only one of the equations. Since it is an equation in two unknowns, there are an infinite number of pairs of numbers that satisfy it.

For the record, I get y = 0 and x = 0, which satisfy both equations.

Sorry Mark, that equation is supposed to be ##3^x##=## 6 ##times ## 2^y## and not ##6.2^y##

allow me to amend the original equation...:cool:

Last edited:

What are simultaneous equations?

Simultaneous equations are a set of two or more equations with multiple variables that have to be solved at the same time. The solutions to these equations are values of the variables that satisfy all of the equations simultaneously.

Why do we need to solve simultaneous equations?

Solving simultaneous equations allows us to find the values of multiple variables that satisfy a set of equations. This is useful in many real-world applications, such as in physics, engineering, and economics.

What are the methods for solving simultaneous equations?

The most common methods for solving simultaneous equations are substitution, elimination, and graphing. These methods involve manipulating the equations to eliminate one variable and then solving for the remaining variables.

What is the difference between consistent and inconsistent simultaneous equations?

Consistent simultaneous equations have at least one solution that satisfies all of the equations, while inconsistent simultaneous equations have no solutions that satisfy all of the equations. Inconsistent equations may have no solutions or an infinite number of solutions.

Can simultaneous equations be solved using a calculator or computer program?

Yes, simultaneous equations can be solved using a calculator or computer program. There are many online calculators and software programs available that can solve simultaneous equations using various methods, such as substitution, elimination, and matrix operations.