Solving a PDE with boundary problem

In summary, the problem is to find the solution to $\nabla^2 B=c^2 B$ on the half plane $x>0$, with the boundary condition $B=B_0 \hat{z}$ for $x<0$, in the $xz$ plane. The equation can be solved if B is a function of only one variable, but it is not clear if it can also be a function of $x,y,z$. The known solution is in the form $C_1 e^{\frac{x}{d}} + C_2 e^{-\frac{x}{d}}$, but the method to prove it is unknown. A translation of $y \to y + y_0$ will not affect
Karl86

Homework Statement

I want to find the solution to the following problem:
$$\begin{cases} \nabla^2 B=c^2 B &\text{ on the half plane } x>0 \\ B=B_0 \hat{z} & \text{ for } x<0 \end{cases}$$
in the ##xz## plane. ##c, B_0 \in \mathbb{R}##

Homework Equations

I am not really sure what would be relevant. I could solve this if I knew that B is a function of only one variable
but it can a priori be a function of ##x,y,z##.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the solution to be of the form ##C_1 e^{\frac{x}{d}} + C_2 e^{-\frac{x}{d}} ##. But I have no idea how to prove it. I have not really taken a proper course in PDEs. In particular it's not clear to me why the solution has to depend only on x, for example.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Karl86 said:
In particular it's not clear to me why the solution has to depend only on x, for example.
What happens to the problem if you make the translation ##y \to y + y_0##?

Likes Karl86
Orodruin said:
What happens to the problem if you make the translation ##y \to y + y_0##?
Good point. The ##z## translation is a bit more problematic to me.

Karl86 said:
Good point. The zzz translation is a bit more problematic to me.
Why? The argument is 100 % the same.

Likes Karl86
Orodruin said:
Why? The argument is 100 % the same.
Oops. Thanks.

Related to Solving a PDE with boundary problem

1. How do I determine the boundary conditions for a PDE?

Boundary conditions for a PDE can be determined by considering the physical meaning of the problem and the behavior of the solution at the boundaries. They can also be specified based on experimental data or mathematical constraints.

2. What methods can be used to solve a PDE with boundary conditions?

There are several methods that can be used to solve a PDE with boundary conditions, including finite difference methods, finite element methods, and spectral methods. The choice of method depends on the specific problem and the desired accuracy of the solution.

3. How do I ensure the accuracy of my solution to a PDE with boundary conditions?

To ensure accuracy, it is important to carefully choose the numerical method and discretization scheme, as well as the number of grid points or elements. It is also important to monitor the convergence of the solution and refine the grid or elements if necessary.

4. Can I use software to solve a PDE with boundary conditions?

Yes, there are many software packages available for solving PDEs with boundary conditions. These packages often have built-in solvers and allow for easy visualization of the solution. However, it is still important to understand the underlying mathematics and concepts in order to properly interpret the results.

5. What are the applications of solving PDEs with boundary conditions?

Solving PDEs with boundary conditions has a wide range of applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and finance. It can be used to model and understand physical phenomena, design and optimize structures, and predict the behavior of complex systems.