Solving DE with Homogeneous Sub: v=y/x

In summary: A/B and integrate.In summary, the student attempted to solve the differential equation y − x = v using the homogeneous substitution v = y/x, but was unable to integrate the equation.
bfusco

Homework Statement

Consider the DE (x + y)y′ = x − y.
(a) Solve the DE using the homogeneous substitution v = y/x. An implicit solution is acceptable.
(b) We can rearrange the DE into the differential form (y − x) dx + (x + y) dy = 0.
Is this equation exact? If so, find an implicit solution to the equation using our techniques for exact DEs. Show that your solution is equivalent to your answer from part (a). Which method was easier?

The Attempt at a Solution

the question is asking me use the sub. v=y/x which can also be written y=vx and its derivative is y'=v+xv'

-to start distributed that y' to get xy'+yy'=x-y
-then i multiplied 1/x to the whole DE and i get xy'/x + yy'/x = 1-y/x, which reduces to y'+yy'/x=1-y/x, then taking out that y' from the left side of the equation i get, y'(1+y/x)=1-y/x, using the substitutions i get, v+xv'(1+v)=1-v.
-then rewriting v' as dv/dx and bringing that lone v on the left to the right i get, xdv/dx(1+v)=1-2v,
-the dividing by 1+v i get xdv/dx=(1-2v)/(1+v), then i make the equation so that it is in proper form to integrate and i get integral(dx/x)=integral(1+v)/(1-2v)dv

it is at this point I am stuck, I am having difficulty integrating this, and I am not even sure ihave done it right thus far.

Physics news on Phys.org
bfusco said:
-the dividing by 1+v i get xdv/dx=(1-2v)/(1+v), then i make the equation so that it is in proper form to integrate and i get integral(dx/x)=integral(1+v)/(1-2v)dv

it is at this point I am stuck, I am having difficulty integrating this, and I am not even sure ihave done it right thus far.

i would just like to clarify that i know the integral of 1/x, so the issue would be then i guess ln|x|+C=integral(1+v)/(1-2v)dv

bfusco said:
integral(1+v)/(1-2v)dv
Haven't checked your working up to that point, but try writing (1+v)/(1-2v) = A + B/(1-2v)

Related to Solving DE with Homogeneous Sub: v=y/x

What is a homogeneous differential equation?

A homogeneous differential equation is one where all terms can be expressed as a function of the dependent variable and its derivatives. This means that all terms have the same degree of the dependent variable.

What is a homogeneous substitution?

A homogeneous substitution is a method used to solve a homogeneous differential equation by substituting the dependent variable with a new variable, usually represented as v=y/x. This transforms the equation into a separable form, making it easier to solve.

Why is a homogeneous substitution useful?

A homogeneous substitution is useful because it transforms a difficult homogeneous differential equation into a simpler separable equation, making it easier to solve. It also allows us to find a general solution for the equation.

How do you use a homogeneous substitution to solve a differential equation?

To use a homogeneous substitution to solve a differential equation, you first substitute the dependent variable with the new variable, v=y/x. Then, you solve the resulting separable equation for v. Finally, you substitute back for v and solve for y to find the general solution.

Can a homogeneous substitution be used for non-homogeneous differential equations?

No, a homogeneous substitution can only be used for solving homogeneous differential equations. For non-homogeneous equations, other methods such as variation of parameters or the method of undetermined coefficients must be used.