Solving Derivative Problems - Hints for Parts d & e

• Thread starter seiferseph
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary: speeding up when t>4.93 and when 0.676 < t < 2.5 ? and slowing down when they are opposite signs, at 2.5 < t < 4.93 and t < 0.676?
seiferseph
1) I'm having trouble with this problem, it looks like their isn't enough information. can someone give me some hints please
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y15/seiferseph/untitled.jpg

2)
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y15/seiferseph/untitled2.jpg
i solved parts a-c fine, but I'm having some trouble with d and e
i solved v(t) 6t^2 - 30t + 2 and a(t) = 12t - 30 (taking the derivative). for d and e it is looking for a range, right? here's what i got

d) it is moving left when v(t) < 0, so between the zeros, or 0.676 < t < 4.93
and it is moving right when v(t) > 0, or t < 0.676 and t>2.5

e) p is speeding up when both v(t) and a(t) are in the same direction, and slowing down when they are opposite directions (signs)
i got a(t) > 0 when t > 5/2, and a(t) < 0 when t < 5/2. so its speeding up when t > 4.93 and slowing when 0.676 < t < 2.5

thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
For 1),

y = x²
y' = 2x

From this you can get the slope of the tangent at A(1,1) , hence also the slope of the normal. You know the coordinates of a point and the slope of the line passing through that point, A, hence you can find the eqn of that line.

Will that get you started ?

I agree with your answers for parts d) and e).

Fermat said:
For 1),

y = x²
y' = 2x

From this you can get the slope of the tangent at A(1,1) , hence also the slope of the normal. You know the coordinates of a point and the slope of the line passing through that point, A, hence you can find the eqn of that line.

Will that get you started ?

yes that helped, thanks! i guess i just saw it and got confused

so here's what i did, i sovled the slope of the normal line to be -1/2, which gave it the equation y = -1/2x + 3/2; i equated this to y=x^2 to solve for the intersection points, which i got to be (1, 1) and (-3/2, 9/4). i solved for the tangent line for x = -3/2 to get the slope to be -3, and i get the line equation to be y = -3x - 9/4. is this correct?

btw, thanks for confirming the other one too! i just worked my way through it, i haven't seen a problem like that before

I get the same as yourself for all the results you gave :smile:

Fermat said:
I get the same as yourself for all the results you gave :smile:

thanks again, but i was thinking about part e of that second question, and when is it actually slowing down? would it be when they have the opposite sign? how does that work?

It is slowing down when velocity and acceleration have opposite signs.

Consider the eqn of motion,

vf = vi + at

where vf is the final velocity after time t, and vi is some inital velocity.

Let vf be +ve (positive) and let a be -ve (negative).
If a is -ve, then vi +at will be continually getting smaller as t increases, hence vf (= vi + at) will be decreasing. So the speed is getting (numerically) smaller.

Now, let vf be -ve and let a be +ve.
If a is +ve, then vi +at will be continually getting larger as t increases, hence vf (= vi + at) will be increasing.
But vf is -ve. And when -ve numbers increase they get numerically smaller. i.e the speed is getting smaller.

so for this problem would it be

speeding up when t>4.93 and when 0.676 < t < 2.5 ? and slowing down when they are opposite signs, at 2.5 < t < 4.93 and t < 0.676? i don't completely understand when it would be speeding or slowing in this problem...

Related to Solving Derivative Problems - Hints for Parts d & e

1. How do I solve for the derivative of a function?

To solve for the derivative of a function, you can use the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, or chain rule, depending on the form of the function. It is also important to remember to simplify your answer and check for any potential errors.

2. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving derivative problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving derivative problems include not simplifying the answer, forgetting to use the chain rule, and making calculation errors. It is important to double-check your work and be mindful of the rules and formulas being used.

3. Can I use a calculator to solve derivative problems?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve derivative problems, but it is important to understand the concepts and rules behind each step of the calculation. Relying solely on a calculator may lead to errors and a lack of understanding of the concept.

4. How can I check my answer to make sure it is correct?

To check your answer for a derivative problem, you can use the definition of a derivative, which involves taking the limit as the change in x approaches 0. You can also use a graphing calculator to plot the original function and its derivative to visually compare the two.

5. What are some real-life applications of solving derivative problems?

Solving derivative problems is useful in many fields of science and engineering, such as physics, chemistry, and economics. It can be used to determine rates of change, maximum and minimum values, and optimization of systems. It is also commonly used in modeling and predicting real-world phenomena.