Solving Material Nonlinearity From Temperature Change with Ansys

• Thread starter markcini
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ansys
In summary, the person is trying to demonstrate material non linearity due to temperature and is seeking tips on how to set a specific temperature for their model in ANSYS. They have tried using the "da" command but it had no effect. They are using APDL script and have successfully defined material properties but are struggling with assigning a specific temperature. They are looking for guidance on how to do this and mention a tutorial that defines a default temperature.
markcini
I have one small question. I'm trying to demonstrate material non linearity due to temperature.
In other words, I want to show that for the same force, the stresses in the material may be different due to the temperature of the object. Now, I figured the commands for the material properties part, but what I can't figure out is how I set my model to have a specific temperature. I tried using the da command (eg: da,1,TEMP,50) but it showed no effects whatsoever.

Do you have any tips for me?
Thank you for your time, much appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Isn't the fact that temperature-dependent material properties tables exist proof enough? ANSYS can only show what has been put into it in the first place, so solving a temperature dependent model into it doesn't "prove" anything...

thats true :) maybe i used the wrong word there... i want to demonstrate how it works, is that more clear?

Unfortunately this assignment we had to use the APDL script. For the material properties, the script was relatively simple:

MPTEMP,1,0,700
MP,EX,1,12E6,-8E3
TB,BKIN,1,2
TBTEMP,0.0
TBDATA,1,44E3,1.5E6
TBTEMP,700
TBDATA,1,29.33E3,2E6
/XRANGE,0,0.02
TBPLOT,BKIN,1

now, for a simple model I'm trying to demonstrate that for the same force and different temperatures the strain vary. What I'm not able to do is assign the model a given temperature.

Related to Solving Material Nonlinearity From Temperature Change with Ansys

1. What is material nonlinearity and how does it relate to temperature change?

Material nonlinearity refers to the behavior of a material that deviates from the linear relationship between stress and strain. This means that the material's response to an applied load is not directly proportional to the amount of deformation. Temperature change can affect the material properties of a material, causing it to exhibit nonlinear behavior.

2. How can Ansys be used to solve material nonlinearity from temperature change?

Ansys is a powerful finite element analysis software that can simulate the behavior of materials under different loading and environmental conditions. It has advanced capabilities for modeling material nonlinearity and can accurately predict the response of a material to temperature changes.

3. What are the key factors to consider when solving material nonlinearity from temperature change with Ansys?

Some key factors to consider include the material properties, the type of loading, the geometry of the structure, and the temperature gradient. It is also important to accurately model the thermal expansion and thermal conductivity of the material.

4. Can Ansys accurately predict the behavior of a material under extreme temperature changes?

Yes, Ansys has been extensively validated and can accurately predict the behavior of materials under extreme temperature changes. However, it is important to properly calibrate the material properties and use appropriate simulation techniques to ensure accurate results.

5. Are there any limitations to using Ansys for solving material nonlinearity from temperature change?

Ansys is a powerful tool, but it is not without limitations. For example, it may not be suitable for highly complex geometries or materials with extreme nonlinearity. It is important to consult with an experienced engineer and carefully validate the results before making any critical decisions based on the simulations.