Solving PSPICE Model of Astable Multivibrator

• Thread starter Firefox123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pspice
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of modeling and simulating an astable multivibrator using Pspice. The issue arises when both transistors come on at the same time, preventing the expected oscillations. The individual seeking help mentions that this can also happen in real life if the voltage is increased slowly, but it is not desired in a multivibrator. They ask for any potential PSPICE tricks to solve this issue. Another individual offers a solution by changing the initial voltage on one of the capacitors, resulting in a functioning circuit. The next step is to reduce the charge up time for a desired square wave output.
Firefox123
Hi everyone...

I am trying to model and simulate an astable multivibrator using Pspice but i am having some difficulty...

Both transistors are coming on at the same time so I never get the oscillations I expect. What do I need to do to make the model act more like a "real life" astable mulivibrator where one transistor comes on before the other one?

(I have read it is possible for both transistors to come on at the same time in real life as well if the voltage is turned up slowly enough, but this is obviously not what I want if I'm trying to make a multivibrator.)

Is there some PSPICE trick I am missing?

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think I got it...I changed the intial voltage on one of the caps to be 0.1V and the circuit seems to work...

Now I just have to reduce the charge up time so I get a nice square wave...

I understand your frustration with trying to model and simulate an astable multivibrator using PSPICE. It can be challenging to accurately represent real-life behavior in a simulation.

One possible solution to your issue could be to adjust the base resistors of the transistors. By changing the resistance values, you can control the turn-on time of each transistor, which may help to create the desired time delay between them. Additionally, you may want to check the parameters of the transistors themselves, as well as any other components in the circuit, to ensure they are accurately represented in the simulation.

Another approach could be to add a small capacitor between the bases of the transistors. This can create a slight delay in the turn-on time of one of the transistors, allowing for the desired oscillations to occur.

It is also important to keep in mind that PSPICE is a simulation tool and may not perfectly replicate real-life behavior. It is always a good idea to validate your simulation results with actual circuit measurements.

I hope these suggestions are helpful in resolving your issue. Best of luck with your simulation.

Related to Solving PSPICE Model of Astable Multivibrator

1. What is an astable multivibrator in PSPICE?

An astable multivibrator is a type of electronic circuit that generates a continuous square wave output with no stable state. It is often used as a clock or timing circuit in electronic devices.

2. How do I create a PSPICE model of an astable multivibrator?

To create a PSPICE model of an astable multivibrator, you will need to use a combination of resistors, capacitors, and transistors. You can follow a schematic diagram or use the built-in astable multivibrator model in PSPICE.

3. What are the key parameters to consider when solving a PSPICE model of an astable multivibrator?

The key parameters to consider when solving a PSPICE model of an astable multivibrator include the resistor and capacitor values, supply voltage, and the switching thresholds of the transistors. These parameters will determine the frequency and duty cycle of the output waveform.

4. How can I troubleshoot my PSPICE model of an astable multivibrator if it is not working correctly?

If your PSPICE model of an astable multivibrator is not working correctly, you can check the values of your components, make sure your circuit is properly connected, and check for any errors in your simulation setup. You can also consult online resources or seek help from a more experienced PSPICE user.

5. Can I simulate the behavior of an astable multivibrator in PSPICE before building a physical circuit?

Yes, PSPICE allows you to simulate the behavior of an astable multivibrator before building a physical circuit. This can help you test different component values and configurations and troubleshoot any issues before investing time and resources in building a physical circuit.