Solving this integral with respect to parameter m

In summary: I don't think you need it – the derivative of any odd function is even and the derivative of any odd function is even.The functions ##P_m## satisfy the equation ##H P_m = -m(m+1) P_m##Where ##H = \frac{d}{dx} ((1-x^2)\frac{d}{dx})##Eigenfunctions of a Hermitian operator with different eigenvalues are orthogonal.Is this right? - that this integral is zero if the function to be integrated is odd.##x^2## is even, then the overall function and hence the integral is zero if the ##m
LagrangeEuler
Homework Statement
Show that
[tex]\int^{1}_{-1}x^2\frac{d^m}{dx^m}(1-x^2)^mdx=0[/tex] for ##m \geq 2##.
Relevant Equations
Partial integration
[tex]\int udv=uv-\int vdu [/tex]
It is clear that ##1-x^2## is equal to zero in both boundaries ##1## and ##-1##. So for me is interesting to think like this
[tex]\frac{d^m}{dx^m}(1-x^2)^m=\frac{d}{dx}(1-x^2)\frac{d}{dx}(1-x^2)\frac{d}{dx}(1-x^2)...[/tex]
and
[tex]\frac{d^{m-1}}{dx^{m-1}}(1-x^2)^m=(1-x^2)\frac{d}{dx}(1-x^2)\frac{d}{dx}(1-x^2)\frac{d}{dx}(1-x^2)...[/tex]
so there exists one ##(1-x^2)## that is not differentiate. Am I right? So is it for ##dv=\frac{d^m}{dx^m}(1-x^2)^mdx##, ##v=\frac{d^{m-1}}{dx^{m-1}}(1-x^2)^m##?

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
That's wrong to think about it this way, since you would need to use the chain rule of derivative.
You should take:
##u=x^2## twice, or so I think.

my mistake only once.

You can use induction to prove this claim.

Likes Delta2
It's should be ##d/dx d/dx \ldots dx (1-x^2)^m##.

Your line of thinking is interesting, however wrong. It is not $$\frac{d^m(1-x^2)^m}{dx^m}=\left ( \frac{d(1-x^2)}{dx}\right )^m$$

Likes MathematicalPhysicist
I think this exercise can be most easily solved by exploiting the orthogonality property of Legendre polynomials,
$$
\int_{-1}^{1}P_n (x)P_m (x)dx=\frac{2}{2n+1}\delta_{mn}
$$
in conjunction with Rodrigues formula,
$$
P_n (x)=\frac{1}{2^n n!}\frac{d^n}{dx^n}(x^2-1)^n
$$
We have the integral,
$$
I=\int_{-1}^1 x^2\frac{d^n}{dx^n}(1-x^2)^n dx
$$
and we know,
$$
P_0 (x)=1
$$
$$
P_2 (x)=\frac{1}{2}(3x^2-1)
$$
therefore
$$
x^2=\frac{2}{3}(P_2(x)+2P_0 (x))

$$
and from Rodrigues formula
$$
\frac{d^n}{dx^n}(1-x^2)^n=(-1)^n 2^n n!P_n (x)
$$
The integral becomes
$$
I=\frac{(-1)^n 2^{n+1}n!}{3}\int_{-1}^1 (P_2 + 2P_0)P_n (x)dx
$$
From orthogonality with ##n\gt 2## the result follows.

Likes Delta2
Fred Wright said:
I think this exercise can be most easily solved by exploiting the orthogonality property of Legendre polynomials,
$$
\int_{-1}^{1}P_n (x)P_m (x)dx=\frac{2}{2n+1}\delta_{mn}
$$
in conjunction with Rodrigues formula,
$$
P_n (x)=\frac{1}{2^n n!}\frac{d^n}{dx^n}(x^2-1)^n
$$
We have the integral,
$$
I=\int_{-1}^1 x^2\frac{d^n}{dx^n}(1-x^2)^n dx
$$
and we know,
$$
P_0 (x)=1
$$
$$
P_2 (x)=\frac{1}{2}(3x^2-1)
$$
therefore
$$
x^2=\frac{2}{3}(P_2(x)+2P_0 (x))

$$
and from Rodrigues formula
$$
\frac{d^n}{dx^n}(1-x^2)^n=(-1)^n 2^n n!P_n (x)
$$
The integral becomes
$$
I=\frac{(-1)^n 2^{n+1}n!}{3}\int_{-1}^1 (P_2 + 2P_0)P_n (x)dx
$$
From orthogonality with ##n\gt 2## the result follows.
Assuming this identity is a given.

Likes Delta2
MathematicalPhysicist said:
Assuming this identity is a given.
The identity is no less of a given than
$$
\cos^2(x)+\sin^2(x)=1
$$

Likes Delta2
Fred Wright said:
The identity is no less of a given than
$$
\cos^2(x)+\sin^2(x)=1
$$
Can you show to me how do you arrive from ##\cos^2 x + \sin^2 x = 1## to:
##\int_{-1}^{1}P_n (x)P_m (x)dx=\frac{2}{2n+1}\delta_{mn}##?

My analytical skills need a brush.

I don't think he means that. I think he means that as for people that know well trigonometry ##\cos^2x+\sin^2x=1## is well known, easy to prove and perhaps trivial ,for people that know well the Legendre polynomials, that identity is well known as well.

• Informative
Likes MathematicalPhysicist

The functions ##P_m## satisfy the equation
##H P_m = -m(m+1) P_m##
Where ##H = \frac{d}{dx} ((1-x^2)\frac{d}{dx})##

Eigenfunctions of a Hermitian operator with different eigenvalues are orthogonal.

Likes MathematicalPhysicist and Delta2
Is this right? - that this integral is zero if the function to be integrated is odd.
##x^2## is even, then the overall function and hence the integral is zero if the ##m##-th derivative in question is odd. But ##(1 - x^2)^m## is even for all m, and its ##m##-th derivative is even for even ##m## and odd for odd ##m##.

Therefore the statement you are required to prove seems to me true only for odd ##m##, am I mistaken?

• Informative
Likes Delta2
epenguin said:
and its m-th derivative is even for even m and odd for odd m
How do you know that, do you have the formula for the m-th derivative?

Delta2 said:
How do you know that, do you have the formula for the m-th derivative?
I don't think you need it – the derivative of any odd function is even and the derivative of any odd function is even.

You got me confused. Is the derivative of any even function odd you trying to say? Hence that derivative in the integral is odd, even x odd=odd and hence the integral is zero, it does not depend on m!

Yes you are right, if f is even ##f(x)=f(-x)## and by taking the derivatives of this equality in both sides and using the chain rule we get ##f'(x)=-f'(-x)## so f' is odd

EDIT: OH now i see we have the m-th derivative there.

Last edited:
Bringing up the orthogonality of the Legendre polynomials is overkill in this problem, given the hint.

Using integration by parts twice gives:

##x^2 (\frac{d}{dx})^{m-1} (1-x^2)^m##
##-2x (\frac{d}{dx})^{m-2} (1-x^2)^m##
##+2 \int (\frac{d}{dx})^{m-2} (1-x^2)^m##

All three give zero at ##x=\pm1##
(for ##m\gt 2##)

Likes Delta2
My argument I think tells us that the statement is true for odd ##m##. (It doesn't quite prove it untrue for all even ##m##, but I think for it to be true requires that the integral between 0 and 1 be 0.)

For confidence building it is not very difficult to do the integration for ##m = 2## and for ##m = 3## and verify that the second is 0 and the first is non-zero. Even integral for ##m## in general is not much more difficult

It’s zero for all m greater than 2. Not for m=2, unlessI made a mistake.

Likes hutchphd
stevendaryl said:
Bringing up the orthogonality of the Legendre polynomials is overkill in this problem, given the hint.

Using integration by parts twice gives:

##x^2 (\frac{d}{dx})^{m-1} (1-x^2)^m##
##-2x (\frac{d}{dx})^{m-2} (1-x^2)^m##
##+2 \int (\frac{d}{dx})^{m-2} (1-x^2)^m##

All three give zero at ##x=\pm1##
(for ##m\gt 2##)
How do you know that they are zero? How do you evaluate the various derivatives at +-1 without knowing their explicit formula?

Delta2 said:
How do you know that they are zero? How do you evaluate the various derivatives at +-1 without knowing their explicit formula?
##1-x^2## is zero at ##\pm 1##. So you just need to know that ##(\frac{d}{dx})^n (1-x^2)^m## will have at least one factor of ##1-x^2## for ##n\lt m##.

You can prove that if you have a polynomial of the form ##p(x) (1-x^2)^k## where ##p(x)## is a smaller polynomial, then taking a derivative results in:

##(\frac{d}{dx} p(x)) (1-x^2)^k - 2 x p(x)(1-x^2)^{k-1}##

which can be rearranged

##((\frac{d}{dx} p(x)) (1-x^2) - 2 x p(x))(1-x^2)^{k-1}##

which is of the form

##\tilde{p}(x) (1-x^2)^{k-1}##

So if you take fewer than ##m## derivatives of ##(1-x^2)^m##, you will have a polynomial with at least one factor of ##(1-x^2)##, and so it will be zero at ##\pm 1##

Likes Delta2
stevendaryl said:
##1-x^2## is zero at ##\pm 1##. So you just need to know that ##(\frac{d}{dx})^n (1-x^2)^m## will have at least one factor of ##1-x^2## for ##n\lt m##.

You can prove that if you have a polynomial of the form ##p(x) (1-x^2)^k## where ##p(x)## is a smaller polynomial, then taking a derivative results in:

##(\frac{d}{dx} p(x)) (1-x^2)^k - 2 x p(x)(1-x^2)^{k-1}##

which can be rearranged

##((\frac{d}{dx} p(x)) (1-x^2) - 2 x p(x))(1-x^2)^{k-1}##

which is of the form

##\tilde{p}(x) (1-x^2)^{k-1}##

So if you take fewer than ##m## derivatives of ##(1-x^2)^m##, you will have a polynomial with at least one factor of ##(1-x^2)##, and so it will be zero at ##\pm 1##
Ok I see now, the above looks fine to me, however where is the flaw in the logic with even and odd functions:
The derivative of an even function is odd and the derivative of an odd function is even.
So
1) ##x^2## is even
2) ##\frac{d^m(1-x^2)^m}{dx^m}## is also even if m is even because (1-x^2)^m is even, the first derivative is odd, the second derivative is even and so on if m is even the final derivative is even
3) The product of even functions is even function. So the final function of the integral is even (if m is even) and hence the integral with a domain symmetric to 0 can't be zero can it?

Delta2 said:
Ok I see now, the above looks fine to me, however where is the flaw in the logic with even and odd functions:
The derivative of an even function is odd and the derivative of an odd function is even.
So
1) ##x^2## is even
2) ##\frac{d^m(1-x^2)^m}{dx^m}## is also even if m is even because (1-x^2)^m is even, the first derivative is odd, the second derivative is even and so on if m is even the final derivative is even
3) The product of even functions is even function. So the final function of the integral is even (if m is even) and hence the integral with a domain symmetric to 0 can't be zero can it?
Look at the function ##1-3x^2##. It’s even, but its integral is zero (from -1 to 1).

Likes Delta2
stevendaryl said:
Look at the function ##1-3x^2##. It’s even, but its integral is zero (from -1 to 1).

That is a case I alluded to where the integral from 0 to 1 (and from -1 to 0) is 0.

I think no such case arises in our problem.

So I think that the integral is 0 for all odd ##m## including ##m=1##, and nonzero for all even ##m##.

The OP has not written further, and if he comes back should tell us whether he has mistranscribed the problem, and if not where it came from.

epenguin said:
That is a case I alluded to where the integral from 0 to 1 (and from -1 to 0) is 0.

I think no such case arises in our problem.

So I think that the integral is 0 for all odd ##m## including ##m=1##, and nonzero for all even ##m##.
Well, I gave two different proofs that it’s zero for ##m\gt 2##.

But let’s work out the example of ##m=4## to illustrate.

##(1-x^2)^4 = 1 -4x^2 + 6x^4 - 4x^6 +x^8##

Now apply ##(\frac{d}{dx})^4##. This gives

##6\cdot 4\cdot 3\cdot 2\cdot 1##
##- 4\cdot 6\cdot 5\cdot 4\cdot 3 x^2##
##+8\cdot 7\cdot 6\cdot 5 x^4##

multiply by ##x^2## to get
##6\cdot 4\cdot 3\cdot 2\cdot 1 x^2##
##- 4\cdot 6\cdot 5\cdot 4\cdot 3 x^4##
##+8\cdot 7\cdot 6\cdot 5 x^6##

integrate to get:
##6\cdot 4\cdot 3\cdot 2\cdot 1 x^3/3##
##- 4\cdot 6\cdot 5\cdot 4\cdot 3 x^5/5##
##+8\cdot 7\cdot 6\cdot 5 x^7/7##

Now evaluate at ## x = 1##

##6\cdot 4\cdot 3\cdot 2\cdot 1/3##
##- 4\cdot 6\cdot 5\cdot 4\cdot 3/5##
##+8\cdot 7\cdot 6\cdot 5/7##

Simplify, and you get:

##48 -288+240##

which is zero.

The advantage of a proof is that you don’t have to check infinitely many examples, but you can at least see that your conjecture is not correct.

• Love
Likes Delta2
stevendaryl said:
The advantage of a proof is that you don’t have to check infinitely many examples, but you can at least see that your conjecture is not correct.

Yes I realized that, and in fact had done exactly an ##m=4## calculation as a check - but made an error in the calculation and got a nonzero result! So as the statement seemed false for ##m=2## and ##4## I concluded it was not true in general for even ##m##! If I had taken in what some (not all) others were saying... including the OP student who had the right idea but misdeveloped it, it should have been easier to see the answer.

Because of the factor ##x\left( 1-x^{2}\right) ## which remains after integration for all ##m≥2## the definite integral from 0 to 1 is zero, that from -1 to 1 is 0, so that from -1 to 1 is also zero. For odd ##m## including ##m=1## the integral between any ##-a## and ##a## is 0 because the function to be integrated is then odd.

Last edited:
Likes stevendaryl

1. What is the purpose of solving an integral with respect to parameter m?

Solving an integral with respect to parameter m allows us to find the general solution to a problem by finding a function that depends on the parameter m. This can help us better understand the behavior of a system or function and make predictions about its behavior under different conditions.

2. How do I solve an integral with respect to parameter m?

The process of solving an integral with respect to parameter m is similar to solving a regular integral. You can use techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions to simplify the integral and then solve for the function in terms of the parameter m.

3. Can I use any integration method to solve an integral with respect to parameter m?

Yes, you can use any integration method that is suitable for the integral at hand. However, it is important to keep in mind that the resulting solution should be in terms of the parameter m, so make sure to choose a method that will allow for this.

4. When should I use parameter m in my integral?

Parameter m should be used when the function or system you are working with has some unknown or variable quantity that is represented by m. By using parameter m, we can find a general solution that can be applied to different values of m, allowing for a more versatile and comprehensive understanding of the problem.

5. Are there any limitations to solving an integral with respect to parameter m?

There are no specific limitations to solving an integral with respect to parameter m. However, it is important to keep in mind that the resulting solution will still depend on the chosen integration method and may not always be possible to find in closed form. In these cases, numerical methods may be used to approximate the solution.