Spiral galaxies: Multiple axies of rotation?

In summary: Spiral galaxies of course rotate around one axis perpendicular to the plane, but has anyone measured if any spiral galaxies are also rotating about an axis through the plane or about any other axis?Not when looked at correctly. There is one axis of rotation and that is the most concise way to look at it. It can be decomposed into two components. Our brain likes to conceptually decompose the rotation into rotations around two axis because of the symmetry of the gyroscope, the great dominance of the rotation around the mechanical axis of the gyro, and the obvious motion of that mechanical axis.If I spin a sheet on
Buckethead
Gold Member
Spiral galaxies of course rotate around one axis perpendicular to the plane, but has anyone measured if any spiral galaxies are also rotating about an axis through the plane or about any other axis?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
An object can only rotate about one axis. Angular momentum is a vector and has a unique direction.

Likes russ_watters and FactChecker
a gyroscope spinning on a pedestal has two axes of rotation.

Buckethead said:
a gyroscope spinning on a pedestal has two axes of rotation.
Not when looked at correctly. There is one axis of rotation and that is the most concise way to look at it. It can be decomposed into two components. Our brain likes to conceptually decompose the rotation into rotations around two axis because of the symmetry of the gyroscope, the great dominance of the rotation around the mechanical axis of the gyro, and the obvious motion of that mechanical axis.

Last edited:
Likes Laurie K and Orodruin
If I spin a sheet on paper on a desk while simultaneously rotating it around an axis that is parallel to and intersects the desk, that this is only spinning on one axis?

Likes FactChecker
Buckethead said:
If I spin a sheet on paper on a desk while simultaneously rotating it around an axis that is parallel to and intersects the desk, that this is only spinning on one axis?
This got me thinking about a different problem where the gyro is spinning and also rotating around another axis parallel to the gyro axis, but offset. I don't think that I can say that the motion can be represented by a rotation around a single axis. The axis are parallel, so a single axis creating that motion would also have to be parallel, just offset. But I don't think that a single axis could create that motion. I may have been confusing the angular momentum with the actual physical motion.

A galaxy is not a rigid body and N body systems, like a galaxy, have very complex interactions rendering all individual orbits unique. The orbital axes and inclination of any gravitationally bound system can therefor only be generalized. Don't forget orbits are necessarily elliptical and everything tugs on everything else,.

Likes FactChecker
Chronos said:
A galaxy is not a rigid body and N body systems, like a galaxy, have very complex interactions rendering all individual orbits unique. The orbital axes and inclination of any gravitationally bound system can therefor only be generalized. Don't forget orbits are necessarily elliptical and everything tugs on everything else,.

OK, but still, the rotational curve of a spiral galaxy is observable when the stars and gas are taken as a group. My question relates to imagining a pencil poked through a sheet of paper so the pencil is perpendicular to the plane of the paper, then spin in around the axis parallel to the length of the pencil, typical spiral galaxy. But what if the pencil were not quite perpendicular, then the galaxy could still spin but would "wobble" and the edges of a galaxy face on would appear to be oscillating toward and away from the observer. So I was wondering if anyone has attempted to measure this. If it turned out to show an oscillation, this would have to indicate (I think) that the dark matter surrounding the galaxy would be more cylindrical in shape since this wobble would indicate that any given star was not orbiting the center of the galaxy but instead would be orbiting a gravitational area above or below the galaxy plane. Just thought it might be an interesting way to further characterize a dark matter shape.

Why do you think taking a galaxy with cylindrical symmetry and adding a cylinderically symmetric distribution of dark matter will yield a cyllinderically asymmetric angular moment?

Vanadium 50 said:
Why do you think taking a galaxy with cylindrical symmetry and adding a cylinderically symmetric distribution of dark matter will yield a cyllinderically asymmetric angular moment?

My initial though was if you take my crooked pencil example and paint a dot somewhere near the edge of the paper, Most single dots will always orbit the pencil at one point a fixed distance above or below the intersection of the pencil and paper. A star would not be able to do this if the center of mass was a point at the center of the galaxy as it would eventually be sucked down toward the center. It could only do this if the gravitational field were cyllindrical in shape. Such a galaxy would appear to have edges that have an oscillation in their distance from us for galaxies face on.

Although after thinking about this a bit more I can see this would be statistically impossible and more than likely the galaxy would look like a giant cylinder which clearly it is not, so I guess that answers my question. (I think).

OK, so the bottom line is it is simply (almost) impossible for a disk to wobble in this way. But still, has anyone actually measured this parameter (wobble oscillation)? In this universe where almost anything can happen, it seems like an interesting experiment.

Buckethead said:
Spiral galaxies of course rotate around one axis perpendicular to the plane, but has anyone measured if any spiral galaxies are also rotating about an axis through the plane or about any other axis?
Go to StartPage and do a search on "polar ring galaxy."

Likes JMz
CygnusX-1 said:
Go to StartPage and do a search on "polar ring galaxy."
Wow, that's great! Thanks for turning me on to that. This doesn't directly address my question, but I'm glad I just learned something new!

The axis of revolution of the stars has to be perpendicular to the galactic plane, otherwise the stars wouldn't be orbiting the center of mass. They'd either fall out of orbit or be pulled into the plane. It's the same reason our solar system is planar.

The orbital plane of the solar system, aka the ecliptic, is only approxmately flat , The orbital inclination and even center of mass between each planet and the sun is unique and dynamic, not fixed.

Chronos said:
The orbital plane of the solar system, aka the ecliptic, is only approxmately flat , The orbital inclination and even center of mass between each planet and the sun is unique and dynamic, not fixed.
In real life there is never such a thing as perfection, so I don't see a point to this objection. The variation in the inclinations is only +-3.5 degrees. It would be very difficult for there to be one with a 30 degree inclination, for example.

Note, this also isn't very well related to the OP's question, which stipulates to the planar shape.

Buckethead said:

Spiral galaxies rotate around their galaxy clusters. The cluster's axis of rotation is mostly independent of the galaxy's axis of rotation.

stefan r said:
Spiral galaxies rotate around their galaxy clusters. The cluster's axis of rotation is mostly independent of the galaxy's axis of rotation.
I can't parse this. Did you mean to say "revolve" anywhere?

russ_watters said:
I can't parse this. Did you mean to say "revolve" anywhere?

I meant the cluster rotates and is made up of galaxies (plus some other stuff). An individual galaxy is revolving around the cluster. Would it help to write "galaxys' axes of rotation are independent of each other and the cluster"?

1. What are spiral galaxies?

Spiral galaxies are a type of galaxy characterized by a flat, rotating disk of stars, gas, and dust, with a central bulge and spiral arms extending from the center. They are one of the most common types of galaxies in the universe.

2. How do spiral galaxies rotate?

Spiral galaxies rotate around a central axis, with the stars and gas moving in a circular or elliptical path. The rotation is caused by the gravitational pull of the galaxy's mass, which is mostly made up of dark matter.

3. What is the significance of multiple axes of rotation in spiral galaxies?

The multiple axes of rotation in spiral galaxies refer to the rotation of the disk and the rotation of the bulge. This is significant because it suggests that spiral galaxies may have formed through the merging of smaller galaxies, each with their own angular momentum.

4. How do scientists study the rotation of spiral galaxies?

Scientists study the rotation of spiral galaxies through a technique called spectroscopy. This involves measuring the Doppler shift of light from different parts of the galaxy to determine the speed and direction of their motion. Other methods, such as studying the distribution of mass and using computer simulations, are also used.

5. Are there other types of galaxies with multiple axes of rotation?

Yes, there are other types of galaxies, such as irregular and lenticular galaxies, that also have multiple axes of rotation. However, spiral galaxies are the most common type with this feature, and their rotation patterns provide important insights into the formation and evolution of galaxies in the universe.