Taylor Polynomial for f(x)=ln3x

In summary, the conversation was about finding the Taylor Polynomial of degree 3 for the function f(x) = ln3x about a = 1/3. The person has found up to the fourth derivative of f(x) and is unsure if their current solution is correct. They also mentioned uncertainty about what should go on top and below the summation symbol, with a possible suggestion of 4 and k=0.
Nick_273

Homework Statement

Find the Taylor Polynomial of degree 3 for the function f(x) = ln3x about a = 1/3

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found up to the fourth derivative of f(x) along with the values of the derivatives at x = 1/3.

At this point i get Σ{(-1)kk!fk(1/3)}, but am unsure of whether or not this is correct or if I am missing something. Also, not sure of what should go on top of an below the summation symbol...I think its 4 and k=0.

Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nick_273 said:

Homework Statement

Find the Taylor Polynomial of degree 3 for the function f(x) = ln3x about a = 1/3

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found up to the fourth derivative of f(x) along with the values of the derivatives at x = 1/3.

At this point i get Σ{(-1)kk!fk(1/3)}, but am unsure of whether or not this is correct or if I am missing something. Also, not sure of what should go on top of an below the summation symbol...I think its 4 and k=0.

Thanks for your help.

I think the taylor polynomial should be a polynomial. That doesn't look like a polynomial to me.

Related to Taylor Polynomial for f(x)=ln3x

What is a Taylor Polynomial?

A Taylor Polynomial is a mathematical tool used to approximate a function by using a finite number of terms of its Taylor series. It is named after the English mathematician Brook Taylor.

How do you find the Taylor Polynomial for a function?

The Taylor Polynomial for a function can be found by using the Taylor series expansion formula. This involves finding the derivatives of the function at a specific point and plugging them into the formula.

What is the Taylor Polynomial for f(x)=ln3x?

The Taylor Polynomial for f(x)=ln3x is ln3 + (x-1)/3 - (x-1)^2/18 + (x-1)^3/81 - (x-1)^4/324 + ...

Why is the Taylor Polynomial important?

The Taylor Polynomial is important because it allows us to approximate complex functions with simpler polynomial functions. This is useful in many areas of mathematics, physics, and engineering.

What are the applications of the Taylor Polynomial?

The Taylor Polynomial has various applications, including finding derivatives and integrals of functions, solving differential equations, and approximating functions in numerical analysis and scientific computing.