The island is big and wooded in parts, How do they survive?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    parts
In summary, the group of people stranded on the island must find a way to survive by finding fresh water, constructing shelter, and hunting for food. They must also watch for passing ships or planes in order to be rescued.
No problem about not catching that sow yet, we need to finish building the pen and crate we'll use to hold her and milk her. Without a proper post-hole digger, it's taking a little longer than I expected to put the fence posts in. Plus, I have to do that between cooking, tanning leather, sewing clothes, scrubbing pots between meals, and dressing and butchering all those boars Danger killed (we really need to do something quickly to preserve that meat; I'm smoking as much of it as I can, but it's slow going and I'd hate to see the excess just go to waste if it rots before we can use it or preserve it). If I can get something to clean the intestines properly (maybe Brewnog's alcohol has yet another use?), then I can use all the little scraps of meat and fat to make smoked sausages.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have made a crude crystal radio out of bits from the plane, and slung up
a long wire aerial between two trees, the head set from the wreak gives
some volume, there is music comming through with static.

WHAT?
No place-name for me?? :grumpy:

The first gorge to be found is to be named after me.

arildno said:
WHAT?
No place-name for me?? :grumpy:

The first gorge to be found is to be named after me.

hmmmmmmmm how about Arild Cave - there appears to be some kind of cave slightly up the East coast from Brewies Drop. I'm not sure how far in it goes - I'm not brave enough to go exploring underwater caves.

Yeah, sure; I can be the Norwegian troll lurking in a deep, dark, and dank cave.
Very nice suggestion.

Thank you very much.

Last edited:
Arildno, i could not think of one for you sorry, how about Arildno grotto?
or Arildnos Way," its a natural track", we haven't come across a gorge yet.

brewnog said:
Evening all. I've been down to check out the caves around Brewies Drop today. It seems people have been here before. It looked like some kind of smuggler's hideout. I found a couple of old inflatable boats. The rubber is rotten beyond repair, but it's possible that the outboards are servicable. I also found a large holdall containing some goodies. There are seven bandanas, a large Jolly Roger pirate flag, three brooms, and an empty parrot cage.

ohhh can I have a bandana? Let's get the outboards back here, and see if they are useable.
Good job with the radio Wolram! Hopefully we can get weather reports.
After helping with the morning meal, I'm going to go gather wood, and start a wood pile. I would feel better if we had a 2 or 3 day supply, in case of bad weather.
Ohh then a trip to the hot springs!

wolram said:
Arildno, i could not think of one for you sorry, how about Arildno grotto?
or Arildnos Way," its a natural track", we haven't come across a gorge yet.
No, you all want me out of your way. :grumpy:

I'll sit alone in my cave gnawing whatever old bones I find scattered about and just BE a troll.
I'm rather partial to man-flesh, though, so you'd better watch out and take care. I might be out and about occasionally.

Last edited:
hypatia said:
Ohh then a trip to the hot springs!
But do not go on your own, we are not entirely sure this island is safe, i suggest
we all ways buddy up on trips and take a weapon of some sort.
The scavengers have had a look around Hypatias stone, and there are signs of
man made construction, it is very old and has tool marks on it.

arildno said:
No, you all want me out of your way. :grumpy:

I'll sit alone in my cave gnawing off whatever old bones I find scattered about.
I'm rather partial to man-flesh, though, so you'd better watch out and take care. I might be out and about occasionally.

No need to get the hump old boy, and no one wants you out of the way, as
long as you pitch in and do your bit.
As for eating human flesh, forget it, now get and do some thing useful.

It's not that I ever relished the prospect of being a troll.
It would be a rather lonely existence..

Then come gather wood with me, and tell me about your country. After, we'll both go to the hot springs!

Hooray!
I'm off into the woods! :smile:

arildno said:
Hooray!
I'm off into the woods! :smile:

Just remember to stay alert, we should have some way of signaling each other
if in danger, may be a horn of some sort, and a code to know who it is.

And now you are expecting some utterly sluttish comment from me like "I'm a good horn-blower" or something, right?

I am aggrieved.. :frown:

Aah, the wounds I get from other men. They cut deep, you know.. :cry:

Last edited:
arildno said:
And now you are expecting some utterly sluttish comment from me like "I'm a good horn-blower" or something, right?

I am aggrieved.. :frown:

Aah, the wounds I get from other men. They cut deep, you know.. :cry:

You are just so to sensitive old chap, i meant the words as wrote with no
hidden meaning, one of could get injured and be miles from help, the sound
from a horn is audible for quite some distance, now we could arrange a
code for every trek away from camp, like the scavengers give two blasts,
and you and Hypatia give three.

Okay, I'll blow my own horn three times if we get into Danger or something.

I'm off with Hypatia to gather woods.

So long..

arildno said:
Okay, I'll blow my own horn three times if we get into Danger or something.

I'm off with Hypatia to gather woods.

So long..
No, you have more important responsibilities.I think you'd better to stay here and wolram will gather woods!

OK, just back with the honey and some bees wax. Also brought back some fruit.

Now time to build the roof with palm fronds.

Lisa! said:
No, you have more important responsibilities.I think you'd better to stay here and wolram will gather woods!
I absolutely REFUSE to take any independent decision as to what I am to do.
I was told to go fetch sticks in the woods, and I was happy about that.

But now, I am ordered to do something else.

I'll sit right down here, and refuse to do anything until someone kicks my butt into some direction.
Otherwise, I'm unbudgeable.

Thanks.
I asked what happened to ourship ,but I've not got a suitable respond to my question.Could yu please tell me about that?

I have the ax and I know how to use it,{tosses it, and sticks it into the tree above your head} you have the horn. Now let's go

Lisa look back a page or two ..your answer is there

hypatia said:
I have the ax and I know how to use it,{tosses it, and sticks it into the tree above your head} you have the horn. Now let's go
I am unbudgeable.

Wait! Ax??
Above my head??

Suddenly mobile again;runs off into the woods..

ok, but when your cold, hurt or hungry, you will have only lisa to help you. grabs the ax and the horn...and heads off.

lmao, LIsa can come too, you can tell her more about the ship as we walk

hypatia said:

Lisa look back a page or two ..your answer is there
Yeah, but I need an expert to answer my question.

hypatia said:
ok, but when your cold, hurt or hungry, you will have only lisa to help you. grabs the ax and the horn...and heads off.
Don't take my horn, please I beg you!

Follows hypatia obediently..

That was a year ago, as Hpatia and arildno walk away we jump back to the
present, The house is built and furnished with beds table and chairs, Astro also
built a separate kitchen house and we stocked it with pots and pans made from
the wreaked plane, Brewie and Danger built a forge and made shovels axes
all manner of tools, and now_____________________________?

wolram said:
That was a year ago, as Hpatia and arildno walk away we jump back to the
present, The house is built and furnished with beds table and chairs, Astro also
built a separate kitchen house and we stocked it with pots and pans made from
the wreaked plane, Brewie and Danger built a forge and made shovels axes
all manner of tools, and now_____________________________?
are you dreaming?

Lisa! said:
are you dreaming?
Nope you are a year older now
and a lot less cantankerous now Hypatia and Moonbear have schooled you
some.

wolram said:
Nope you are a year older now
and a lot less cantankerous now Hypatia and Moonbear have schooled you
some.
come on!I'm worried about you.The next year, we're not here.we'll leave here very soon.Although I really miss this beautiful Island and my friends!

Lisa! said:
come on!I'm worried about you.The next year, we're not here.we'll leave here very soon.Although I really miss this beautiful Island and my friends!

Not to worry Lisa, we can't leave the island it has a mysterious force that won't let us go

wolram said:
A group of ten to twenty people are ship wrecked on a desert island, they have basic hand tools and food and water that will last for two days, no one knows they survived the ship wreck, so no chance of rescue.
The island is big and wooded in parts, How do they survive?

I'm not willing to read through 19 pages to see if anyone else mentioned this, but 'desert' islands are not wooded in parts. It sounds like you're thinking of a tropical rainforest island. If that's the case, it should be pretty easy to survive. It'll never get cold enough to freeze, you can sleep on the beach to avoid predators, and venture into the woods during the day to collect fruit and roots to eat. There should be plenty of rain collected in leaves, and that should suffice to drink.

If it's truly a 'desert' island, though, it's time to start eating your mates and drinking their blood. They could fish, though. My grandfather stayed alive in the south Pacific after a shipwreck during WWII for three months eating fish and drinking their blood. I suppose you could do so indefinitely.

wow a year has past, seems like almost yeaterday that we became stranded here.
On one of my walk abouts, I noticed some strange carving on the bottom of Hypatias rock. There is also a grave nearby.

hypatia said:
wow a year has past, seems like almost yeaterday that we became stranded here.
On one of my walk abouts, I noticed some strange carving on the bottom of Hypatias rock. There is also a grave nearby.

Was the grave recent or old ? the scavengers also noted the markings on the
stone, i don't know if they depict anything or not, it is certainly not natural, the
stone has been placed with some care.