The Mechanical Universe And Beyond - Physics Lectures Online

In summary, "The Mechanical Universe...And Beyond" is a set of free physics lectures recommended by a professor and produced by CalTech in 1985. These videos provide a historical and conceptual understanding of fundamental physics concepts and are accessible to those without a strong background in science or math. They can be found on the Annenberg Learner website and are great to share with non-science friends and family.
Dembadon
Gold Member
"The Mechanical Universe...And Beyond" - Free Physics Videos Online

My physics (Thermo and E&M) professor recommended the following set of lectures from Annenberg Learner, produced by CalTech in 1985:

http://www.learner.org/resources/series42.html

Scroll down and click the "VoD" button to the right of the video you want to watch. Make sure you've disabled popups for www.learner.org or you might not get the window in which the videos are shown.

I'm sure a link to these videos is buried somewhere on PF, but I figured it might be a good idea to put this out there just in case. I've really enjoyed watching these videos. Of course, they won't magically make you a master of physics after watching all 52, half-hour videos. However, they're great at giving the history and motivation behind the discoveries of many of the fundamental concepts in physics. They don't require a heavy background in mathematics or the sciences to appreciate, thus are great to share with non-science friends and family. My wife and I have been watching at least one every night for the past week or so.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for sharing this videos, I am sure to check them out when I get a better internet connection.

However, wouldn't this be more appropriate being posted in Math and Science Learning Materials? At least also posting this in that forum as well.

Wow, great! On another video series they have one of the last year's Nobel-prize winners (David Wineland) about quantum physics in one movie :-)).

http://www.learner.org/courses/physics/video/vid_byunit.html?unit=5

1. What is "The Mechanical Universe And Beyond - Physics Lectures Online"?

The Mechanical Universe And Beyond - Physics Lectures Online is a collection of educational videos and lectures created by renowned physicist Dr. David Goodstein and his team at the California Institute of Technology. These lectures cover a wide range of topics in physics, including mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics.

2. Who can benefit from watching these lectures?

These lectures are suitable for anyone with an interest in physics, regardless of their background or level of knowledge. They are particularly useful for students studying physics at the high school or college level, as well as for those who are simply curious about the workings of the universe.

3. Are these lectures free to watch?

Yes, all of the lectures in "The Mechanical Universe And Beyond" series are available to watch for free online. They can be accessed through various platforms, including YouTube, Annenberg Learner, and Caltech's website.

4. How many lectures are included in this series?

The Mechanical Universe And Beyond consists of 52 half-hour long episodes, each focusing on a different topic in physics. In addition, there are also supplemental materials available, such as study guides and problem sets, to further enhance the learning experience.

5. Can these lectures be used for academic purposes?

Yes, many universities and colleges around the world use these lectures as part of their physics curriculum. They are also a valuable resource for self-study and review for exams.