Thermodynamic question involving work

In summary, the conversation discusses using the relation PVx = C to show that the work done by a reversible function from P1V1 to P2V2 can be represented by the formula W = (P1V1 - P2V2)/(x-1). The process is characterized by the equation PVx = constant, and the work can be computed by integrating PdV from V1 to V2. The pressure and volume are always related by the equation PVx = constant, and this holds true for all states of the system.
Liquidxlax

Homework Statement

Show that the work done by a reversible function from P1V1 to P2V2 is

W = (P1V1 -P2V2)/ (x - 1)

using the relation PVx = C where X and C are constants

Homework Equations

dW = PdV

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm going to have to update this more when i get home because i forgot my textbook and notebook

Basically what I did was draw a graph from P1V1 to P2V2 and the whole point is to find the area underneath the curve

My problem is I'm not sure how to include the change in pressure and the change in volume in this integral.

I'm basically getting (x-y)/xy where x and y are different volumes

Like i said i will update my work when i get home, but any help for now will be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
dw =PdV,there you are.
So to compute work,all you need to do is compute the definite integral of PdV from V1 to V2.
Express P in terms of V,by using the equation PVx=constant(say k),ie P=kV-x

Now Integrate KV-x from V1 toV2,and you are done,provided you put the limits nicely(substitute k=P1V1x in the 2nd term and k=P2V2x in the first term)

pabloenigma said:
dw =PdV,there you are.
So to compute work,all you need to do is compute the definite integral of PdV from V1 to V2.

Now Integrate KV-x from V1 toV2,and you are done,provided you put the limits nicely(substitute k=P1V1x in the 2nd term and k=P2V2x in the first term)

funny thing is that if you are right i did that, and i guess i must have messed up my algebra. Curse the few first days of school

pabloenigma said:
dw =PdV,there you are.

I did do that, but do you justify that k=P2V2x=P1V1x?

In your question, PVx=constant is the equation of the process,ie this equation characterizes and defines the process the system is made to go through.This defines the way P and V of the system changes. So, P and V of the system always saties this equation. If P1V1, P2V2,P3V3 , etc are pressure and volume of the system in different points of time, then for all thes states, PiVi=k is satisfied.

So from the initial and final states we get

P1V1= P2V[/SUB]2[/SUB]=k.
Got it?

Related to Thermodynamic question involving work

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of energy and its transformation, particularly in relation to heat and work.

2. What is work in thermodynamics?

In thermodynamics, work is defined as the transfer of energy from one system to another due to a force acting on the system. This can include mechanical work, electrical work, and other forms of work.

3. How is work related to thermodynamic processes?

Work is an important aspect of thermodynamic processes as it is a means of transferring energy from one system to another. In thermodynamics, work is often used to change the state of a system, such as increasing its temperature or pressure.

4. What are the different types of work in thermodynamics?

There are three main types of work in thermodynamics: mechanical work, electrical work, and surface work. Mechanical work involves the transfer of energy due to a force acting on a system, electrical work involves the transfer of energy due to an electric current, and surface work involves the transfer of energy due to changes in the surface area of a system.

5. How is work calculated in thermodynamics?

The amount of work done in a thermodynamic process can be calculated using the formula W = F * d, where W is work, F is the force applied, and d is the distance over which the force is applied. In some cases, the work may also be calculated using other thermodynamic equations, such as the First Law of Thermodynamics.