Throwing baton modeled as inverted pendulum

• Thread starter helemekoko
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pendulum
In summary, the conversation discusses a juggler twirling a baton and the factors that determine how high the baton will fly when it leaves her hand. The system is modeled as a single inverted pendulum and equations for force balance, energy, and torque equilibrium are discussed. The conversation also mentions using numerical integration and initial conditions to find the baton's angular velocity and position. However, there is uncertainty about how to use the graph and equations once the baton leaves the hand.
helemekoko

Homework Statement

riagyu.jpg

The juggler twirls a baton as high as she can into the air. To do this she applies a fast and powerful wrist flexion torque of T=70Nm. The baton will fly as high as possible when it leaves the girl's hand with its max take-off velocity. In order to maximize take-off velocity she must apply maximum flexion torque. The baton will leave the girl's hand when the vertical component of force exerted on the baton by the hand becomes zero.

While she is holding the baton, the system can be modeled by a single inverted pendulum (shown in the figure). Assuming that the baton begins from rest and is initially oriented parallel to the ground and 1.2 m above the ground, determine how high above the ground will the baton fly.

Given:
TW = 70 Nm
Mass of baton, m = 0.75kg
Length of baton, l = 0.2m
Moment of inertia, I = 0.05 kgm2

Homework Equations

Kinematics

[itex]x=lcosθ[/itex]
[itex]y=lsinθ[/itex]

Force Balance

[itex]F_{x}=m\ddot{x}[/itex]
[itex]F_{y}=mg+m\ddot{y}[/itex]

Energy Equations

[itex]mgh=\frac{1}{2}Iω^{2}+\frac{1}{2}mv_{takeoff}^{2}[/itex]
where
[itex]ω=\dot{θ}[/itex]

Torque Equilibrium

[itex]T_{W}=I\ddot{θ}-F_{x}lsinθ+F_{y}lcosθ[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Found the Accelerations

[itex]\ddot{x}=-l\ddot{θ}sinθ-l\dot{θ}^{2}cosθ[/itex]
[itex]\ddot{y}=l\ddot{θ}cosθ-l\dot{θ}^{2}sinθ[/itex]

Multiplying by mass then subbing them into the Torque balance gave me

[itex]T_{W}=I\ddot{θ}+ml^{2}\ddot{θ}+mglcosθ[/itex]

Rearranging

[itex]\ddot{θ}(t)=\frac{T_{W}-mglcosθ(t)}{I+ml^{2}}[/itex]

Numerically Integrating to find θ(t) using initial conditions θ(0)=0 and ω(0)=0
After sketching graph, I see that the graph always increases, similar to a exponential graph.
How do I use the graph to help me find the height of the baton. Using energy equations I can get ω by integrating once via analytically then using the initial condition ω(0)=0. But i get stuck at finding V(take-off). Also once the baton leaves the hand I can't quite understand how the equations of the pendulum are useful

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not finding help at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us?

1. How does the inverted pendulum model relate to throwing a baton?

The inverted pendulum model is a simplified representation of the motion of a baton when it is thrown. It assumes that the baton is a weightless rod, and the only force acting on it is the force of gravity. This model is commonly used in physics to analyze the motion of objects that behave like pendulums.

2. What factors affect the motion of a baton thrown like an inverted pendulum?

The motion of a baton thrown like an inverted pendulum is affected by several factors, including the initial velocity and angle at which it is thrown, the length and weight of the baton, and the force of gravity. Other external factors, such as air resistance and wind, can also impact its motion.

3. How can the inverted pendulum model help in understanding the dynamics of baton throwing?

The inverted pendulum model can help in understanding the dynamics of baton throwing by providing a simplified way to analyze the motion and forces involved. By using this model, scientists can make predictions about the trajectory of a thrown baton and determine the optimal conditions for achieving maximum distance or accuracy.

4. Are there limitations to using the inverted pendulum model for baton throwing?

Yes, there are limitations to using the inverted pendulum model for baton throwing. This model assumes that the baton is a weightless rod and neglects factors such as air resistance, which can significantly affect the motion of a real baton. Therefore, the model may not accurately represent the actual motion of a thrown baton in real-world scenarios.

5. Can the inverted pendulum model be applied to other objects besides batons?

Yes, the inverted pendulum model can be applied to other objects besides batons. This model is commonly used to study the dynamics of objects that behave like pendulums, such as a swinging pendulum, a falling tower, or even a human arm. It can also be applied to more complex systems, such as robots, to analyze their stability and control.