Trig derivative applications answer check

So you should put "exactly" instead of "approximately".In summary, the problem involves an isosceles triangle with a base of 20 cm and an increasing altitude of 1 cm/min. The goal is to find the rate at which the base angle is increasing when the area is 100 cm^2. The solution method is attached in pdf format and is correct except for a minor difference in the value of tan-1(1).
spoc21

Homework Statement

The base of an isosceles triangle is 20 cm and the altitude is increasing at the rate of 1 cm/min. At what rate is the base angle increasing when the area is 100 cm^2?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Im very unsure about my solution method. I have attached a copy my solution in pdf format, and would really appreciate if someone could take a quick look at it, and preferably tell me if its right or wrong..Thanks :smile:

Attachments

• working for the trig app.pdf
    181.9 KB · Views: 952
Physics news on Phys.org
spoc21 said:

Homework Statement

The base of an isosceles triangle is 20 cm and the altitude is increasing at the rate of 1 cm/min. At what rate is the base angle increasing when the area is 100 cm^2?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Im very unsure about my solution method. I have attached a copy my solution in pdf format, and would really appreciate if someone could take a quick look at it, and preferably tell me if its right or wrong..

Looks good with one very minor exception tan-1(1) = pi/4 (exactly), and is only approximately equal to .7854.

What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical term that represents the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It measures how much a function is changing with respect to its input variable.

How is a derivative calculated?

The derivative of a function f(x) is calculated by taking the limit as h approaches 0 of the difference quotient (f(x+h)-f(x))/h. This is also known as the first principle of differentiation.

What are some applications of trigonometric derivatives?

Trigonometric derivatives have many real-world applications, such as in physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to model the motion of an object, analyze electrical circuits, and optimize business strategies.

How do I check my answers for trigonometric derivative problems?

To check your answers for trigonometric derivative problems, you can use a graphing calculator or an online derivative calculator. You can also solve the problem by hand and compare your answer to the original problem.

Can I use trigonometric derivatives to solve real-world problems?

Yes, trigonometric derivatives can be applied to real-world problems to model and analyze various situations. For example, they can be used to calculate the maximum height of a projectile or the optimal angle for a ramp.