Uniformity of a magnetic field

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of uniformity of a magnetic field within a loop of current. The participants discuss using the Biot-Savart Law and parameterization to find the distance between a point on the loop and a chosen point inside the loop. They also mention the use of numerical integration for points near the wire. Their ultimate goal is to build an exit port for a cyclotron and calculate the trajectory of particles within the magnetic field.
Bleedingfingers
Hi. I've been trying to calculate the uniformity of a magnetic field within a loop of current. I know that the magnetic field at a point r units way from a wire carrying current is given by mu not over 2pi times I over r. I thought that what I wanted to do was choose a point distance a from the center of the circular loop (but still inside it) and find a formula for the distance between that point and any point on the circle as a function of the angle that the point on the loop lies on. so I parameterized x and y as Rcos(t) and Rsin(t) respectively. Using the distance formula of pythagoras, and assuming that it doesn't change anything if I set the coordinates of the point I'm interested into (a,0), I get sqrt( (x-a)^2+(y)^2) which, carrying throught the operations gives me sqrt( R^2+a^2-Racos(t)). ing the integral of the inverse of this gives me a nasty looking integral which both mathematica and the integral tables I have referenced claim can only be solved using an eliptic integral which can only be evaluated between 0 and pi, wheras I need 0 to 2pi. Am I going about this in the proper manner? Any suggestions? After we get this, we will want to illustrate the uniformity of the magnetic field between two coils and show that the field between them is uniform, and find out exactly how uniform it is. We need to know this for the construction of a cyclotron. We want to be able to figure out how our electron/particle beam is going to fringe out when it reaches the edje of the magnetic field. Our goal is to build an exit port for the sucker (If we get around to it; probably won't happen till next quarter) so we want to be able to calculate where the particles are going to hit the side of the chamber so we can build the exit port there.

Thanks for the help on this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you start from the Biot-Savart Law ?

Still, for any point not at the center of the loop you'll likely have some messy integral to solve. For points near the center (distance from center << radius), you can use some suitable approximation to find the field. For any general point, and especially for points near the wire itself, it may just be best to do a numerical integration.

What is the definition of uniformity of a magnetic field?

The uniformity of a magnetic field refers to the evenness of the magnetic field strength throughout a given space. It means that the magnetic field lines are equally spaced and parallel, with no areas of significantly higher or lower field strength.

How is the uniformity of a magnetic field measured?

The uniformity of a magnetic field can be measured using a device called a magnetometer. This instrument measures the strength and direction of the magnetic field at different points in space. By comparing these measurements, the uniformity of the field can be determined.

What factors can affect the uniformity of a magnetic field?

There are several factors that can affect the uniformity of a magnetic field, including the shape and size of the magnet, the distance from the magnet, and the presence of other magnetic or electric fields in the surrounding environment.

Why is uniformity important in magnetic fields?

Uniformity is important in magnetic fields because it ensures that the effects of the field are consistent throughout the space. This is particularly important in scientific experiments and industrial applications where precise and reliable results are necessary.

How can the uniformity of a magnetic field be improved?

The uniformity of a magnetic field can be improved by using specialized magnets with carefully designed shapes and sizes, as well as by carefully arranging the magnets in a specific configuration. Additionally, shielding can be used to block out external magnetic and electric fields that may disrupt the uniformity of the field.