Vector Potential A: Discontinuity at the surface current

In summary: It's just notation.In summary, the conversation discusses proving Eqn. 1 using Eqns. 2-4, which involve partial derivatives and magnetic vector potentials. The speaker is stuck on understanding the partial derivatives with respect to n and is unsure of the usefulness of Eqn. 2. They request guidance from others and decide to ask their professor for help.
Sleepycoaster

Homework Statement

Prove Eqn. 1 (below) using Eqns. 2-4. [Suggestion: I'd set up Cartesian coordinates at the surface, with z perpendicular to the surface and x parallel to the current.]

Homework Equations

I used ϑ for partial derivatives.

Eqn. 1: ϑAabove/ϑn - ϑAbelow/ϑn = -μ0K
Eqn. 2:A = 0
Eqn. 3: Babove - Bbelow = μ0(K × n-hat)
Eqn. 4: Aabove = Abelow

The Attempt at a Solution

Conceptually, I'm mostly stuck at the partial derivatives with respect to n. n is just a normal vector to a plane surface. It will flip completely as soon as you go from looking at points below the surface to points above the surface.

I've taken Eqn. 3 and plugged in B = × A to get:
× Aabove - × Abelow = μ0(K × n-hat)

It looks pretty close, but by Eqn. 4, the two terms on the left should be equal and thus everything is zero. That's hardly going to help.

The usefulness of Eqn. 2 seems dubious to me, but it would be useful if I need find A using Poisson's equation, which is only possible by Eqn. 2.

2A = -μ0J

But then again, the surface is 2D so J doesn't really fit.

I need a nudge in the right direction. Help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello coaster,

I notice you didn't get much response. Speaking for myself, I didn't react because you made it difficult to understand what this is about. Perhaps you can provide a description and some context.

Also I haven't seen many ##\partial\over \partial\hat n## in my career (there must be a reason for that! think about what it's supposed to mean...), so I don't know what you mean and where you get that equation.

All the best,
BvU

Thanks for replying. This is a problem from a book on Electricity and Magnetism that my university is using. I don't really understand the partial derivative over n-hat myself, and the book doesn't mention it in detail.

I'll drop this topic and ask my professor if he knows.

Either that, or you check out a few "magnetic vector potential examples", e.g. here : last eqn in 5.6 shows that the partial derivative isn't ##
\partial\over \partial\hat n## but ##\partial\vec A \over \partial n##, by which they mean its normal derivative - so in your case ##{\partial A_x \over \partial z},{\partial A_y \over \partial z},{\partial A_z \over \partial z}## (two of which are 0).

Also http://maktabkhooneh.org/files/library/eng/electrical/7.pdf eqn 5.76 .

1. What is a vector potential?

A vector potential is a mathematical concept used in electromagnetism to describe the magnetic field of a system. It is defined as a vector quantity that, when multiplied by the curl of the magnetic field, gives the magnetic field itself.

2. How is the vector potential related to the surface current?

The vector potential is closely related to the surface current because it is affected by the flow of electrical current on the surface of a conductive material. The presence of a surface current can cause a discontinuity in the vector potential at the boundary between two materials.

3. Why is there a discontinuity in the vector potential at the surface current?

The discontinuity in the vector potential at the surface current is due to the boundary conditions of electromagnetism. When there is a change in material properties, such as conductivity, the vector potential must also change in order to satisfy the boundary conditions.

4. How does the vector potential affect the magnetic field?

The vector potential affects the magnetic field in a similar way to how electric potential affects the electric field. It is a fundamental quantity that helps to describe the behavior of the magnetic field and is essential in many calculations and experiments involving electromagnetism.

5. Can the discontinuity in the vector potential be measured or observed?

Yes, the discontinuity in the vector potential can be measured or observed through various experimental techniques. For example, it can be measured indirectly through the measurement of the magnetic field or directly through techniques such as magnetic force microscopy.