Virus Scanning Software: How to Find & Remove a Virus

In summary: They also have a toolbar that i don't like.Norton is great for general protection but I wouldn't trust it with my financial information. I have heard good things about McAfee, but it does have a subscription fee.
Kerrie
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
Does anyone know of where to obtain a good virus software scanning program? I downloaded a virus scanning program awhile back which told me I had one, but I didn't know how to remove it.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I have McAfee on my laptops. Works pretty well. If money is a problem, try AVG from http://www.grisoft.com/. they have a free version (non-commercial use) that you can probably use. I've been using it on my home computer for a while now and haven't had many problems. Doesn't take up too much in the way of resources and scans fairly quickly. Updates usually come out every 3-4 days or so (usually weekly with McAfee).

Last edited by a moderator:
I use Norton. It automatically protects against viruses, trojans, worms, and also detects adware.

I've had the best track record so far with Avast, has all the usual goodies + some extra ... and it's completely free for home use.

My company uses McAfee ASAP - updates about every 3-4 days (i.e. twice weekly). This also monitors anything downloaded. Save us lots of times especially against the newest viruses. And it generates a detailed report that can be viewed on-line.

At home I use Norton (Symantec).

Usually, you have to go to Start/Control Panel/Add-Remove Programs to remove software, unless the software has an uninstall app.

Or, you could use Regedit, but only as a last resort, and only if you know what you are doing (it's like brain surgery on a PC).

Last edited:
You can't go wrong with Norton the only problem I had with it is that they wanted you to resubscribe every year. I have a thing with paying for what I have already paid for. I have heard good things about McAfee. Check subscription fees as I have not used any in a long time and things might have changed. Thought this could be a consideration for you.

AVG
http://free.grisoft.com/softw/70free/setup/avg70free_300a419.exe

Last edited:
Agreed with Greg. I have been in love with AVG since version 7 came out. Version 6 used to annoy the hell out of me. It would find viruses in protected folders but not clear them. NTFS + AVG 6 was a big time annoyence for me.

I used Notron 2003 but it was a resource hog so I stopped. I heard Norton Corporate edition is awesome so you might try that if you don't trust freeware :P

I personally hate anti virus packages that contain everything like protection against spyware, adware, viruses, trojans, exploits, backdoors ...etc

I prefer to have indivual solutions to each. Norton, McAfee's newest products "i think" also provide protection against spyware and adaware and i hate them.

What is virus scanning software?

Virus scanning software is a program that is designed to detect, identify, and remove viruses and other malicious software from a computer system. It works by scanning files and programs on a computer and comparing them to a database of known viruses. If a match is found, the software will either remove the virus or quarantine it to prevent it from causing harm.

Why is it important to have virus scanning software?

Virus scanning software is important because it helps protect your computer from various types of malware, such as viruses, worms, trojans, and spyware. These malicious programs can cause significant damage to your computer, including stealing sensitive information, corrupting files, and slowing down your system. Virus scanning software helps to prevent and remove these threats, keeping your computer and personal information safe.

How do I find and install virus scanning software?

There are many different virus scanning software programs available, both free and paid. You can find and download them from the internet or purchase them from a reputable software retailer. Once you have chosen a program, follow the installation instructions provided by the software. It is important to regularly update your virus scanning software to ensure it has the latest virus definitions and protection.

How do I run a virus scan?

To run a virus scan, open your virus scanning software and select the option to run a full system scan. This will scan all of the files and programs on your computer for any potential threats. Depending on the size of your system and the speed of your computer, the scan may take some time to complete. Once the scan is finished, the software will provide a report of any viruses or other malware found.

What do I do if a virus is detected?

If a virus is detected during a virus scan, your virus scanning software will typically give you the option to either remove the virus or quarantine it. It is recommended to remove the virus if possible, as this will completely eliminate the threat. If the virus cannot be removed, quarantine is the next best option, as it will isolate the virus and prevent it from causing any harm. It is also important to follow any additional instructions provided by your virus scanning software to fully remove the virus and prevent it from returning.