• Thread starter hagopbul
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diffusion
hagopbul
TL;DR Summary
Asking about storing vanadium
Hello all:

Read a book long time ago about some metals and vanadium was mentioned that it , the book read that you can not contain vanadium in normal container because it will diffuse from that container is that correct

Because I start seeing on social media Instagram for example people claiming that they are doing experiments on vanadium and it was stored in glass container

Is it bad memory or they are just trying to gather followers

Best
H

Engineering news on Phys.org
I would be surprised if there were storage problems due to diffusion of the metal. The surface would be rapidly oxidised.

There may be a problem with toxicity, if a fine oxide dust is inhaled. That could lead to a higher mobility of the metal.

How could vanadium be stored, to prevent oxidation? Could organometallic compounds then be more mobile?

Likes Lord Jestocost
hagopbul said:
you can not contain vanadium in normal container because it will diffuse from that container
We have tried to contain @Vanadium 50 in numerous ways here at PF, and have never been successful. This method below took the longest for him to "diffuse" from, and that was less than 10 minutes. We've given up trying... :wink:

1691531596366.png

https://www.wildabouthoudini.com/p/houdinis-suspended-straitjacket-eascpes.html

• Haha
  • Love
Likes phinds, russ_watters, pinball1970 and 3 others
From my experience @Vanadium 50 is a PF Univers so I don't know of a method to contain it

@berkeman when I visit the website without logging in I don't see your post on this thread ? !

And just to clarify I really read that , even mentioned that vanadium was used in wwii !

For metallic organic compounds I don't know if the study was on metallic organic compounds or pure vanadium it was about illuminating a vanadium sample with multi frequency light source and study the reflection and refraction of photons in the rang of violet and ultraviolet frequencies , I even asked the researcher about the vanadium storage and the researcher did not answer

Correction the researcher posted a video saying she is researching vanadium oxide , this may clarify things alittle

hagopbul said:
TL;DR Summary: Asking about storing vanadium

Hello all:

Read a book long time ago about some metals and vanadium was mentioned that it , the book read that you can not contain vanadium in normal container because it will diffuse from that container is that correct

Because I start seeing on social media Instagram for example people claiming that they are doing experiments on vanadium and it was stored in glass container

Is it bad memory or they are just trying to gather followers

Best
H

Ok Depends what charges are.
If it is operation of sarcasm without due care and attention, then off the top of my head....
British prison.
Concrete bunker, armed guards, bread, water and some sort of meat (I'm thinking tripe or chitterlings )Lord of the Rings as reading material. Some pages missing, apologies.
Entire Jilly Cooper collection.

Music, I have "Helen Ready, the Las Vegas years."
Access to a TV of course, I'm not a monster, black and white portable.
in terms of channels, British, C4 Wales, VHS Video player. A few episodes of Home and away, neighbours and Brookside. Nothing sequential.

Also a rather interesting, "Arthur Negus enjoys." Series from the 70s.

Off the top of my head...

Likes russ_watters
pinball1970 said:
I wrote my post yesterday but waited till someone else posted first.
I like your idea though.
Hello :

I wasn't sarcastic:) I really read a book about vanadium, and other metals , it was for expanding the public knowledge I was in school at the time of the reading, the book claimed vanadium is hard to contain , I am just making sure that the information was right :)

I think the best way to store vanadium is in the chrome vanadium alloy used to make Cr-V hand tools.
I know, from experience, that those tools will diffuse with the vanadium into other mechanics tool boxes.
You can bias the diffusion equilibrium by locking your tool box.

• Haha
Likes Tom.G and berkeman

1. What are the different methods for storing Vanadium?

There are several methods for storing Vanadium, including as a solid, in solution, or in the form of a compound. Vanadium can also be stored in a gaseous state.

2. How is Vanadium stored in its solid form?

Vanadium can be stored as a solid by forming an alloy with another metal, such as iron or aluminum. This method is commonly used in the production of steel, where Vanadium is added to improve its strength and durability.

3. What is the most common method for storing Vanadium in solution?

The most common method for storing Vanadium in solution is by dissolving it in an acidic solution, such as sulfuric acid. This allows for easy transport and use in various industrial processes.

4. How is Vanadium stored as a compound?

Vanadium can be stored as a compound by combining it with other elements to form compounds such as vanadium oxide or vanadium pentoxide. These compounds have various uses in industries such as ceramics, pigments, and batteries.

5. What are the benefits of storing Vanadium in a gaseous state?

Storing Vanadium in a gaseous state allows for easier handling and transportation, as well as more precise control over the amount used in industrial processes. However, this method requires specialized equipment and is not as commonly used as other storage methods.