What kind of processor should i be looking for on my laptop?

In summary: There, they will see a list of battery suppliers that includes the Sony Corporation.In summary, Dell is recalling 4 million batteries because some of them might explode.
Quadruple Bypass
uhh, i am in need of some major help right now. what kind of processor should i be looking for on my laptop? should i be looking at pentium M's or centrin duo/solo?

please share your experiences

it needs to be fast AND have longer battery life.

PLEASE HELP!

Computer science news on Phys.org
I believe core-duo has better energy management, as well as more processing power. However, you might find a deal on pentium-M/centrino laptops.

As usual, the questions to ask yourself:
what will it be used for?
ultraportable (say, 13" or less) ? or desktop replacement (say, 15" or more)? or something in between?
how heavy should it be? (on some, you can get longer battery life with secondary batteries... which, of course, weighs more)
how much are you willing to spend?
when do you need it by?

robphy said:
I believe core-duo has better energy management, as well as more processing power. However, you might find a deal on pentium-M/centrino laptops.

As usual, the questions to ask yourself:
what will it be used for?
ultraportable (say, 13" or less) ? or desktop replacement (say, 15" or more)? or something in between?
how heavy should it be? (on some, you can get longer battery life with secondary batteries... which, of course, weighs more)
how much are you willing to spend?
when do you need it by?
well it will definitely replace my desktop, but i want it to be portable too, so it will be somewhere in between.

i want it to be around 5-6 pounds

i am willing to spend no more than 1200

and i need it ASAP

thanks for the response

When shopping for laptops (for myself or others), I usually consult
http://www.gotapex.com/ on a daily basis for deals... usually for Dell laptops. The E1405 and E1505's might work. Now is a good time to be looking for deals. In my experience, you have to patient... then be quick to react to the deals. You need to do some homework to check out the quality of the particular model. For a little more than 1200, the XPS M1210 looked good... but, at the time I was shopping around, it was a little more [after customizing beyond the base model] than I wanted to spend. So, I got something else. [I really wanted a core-duo tabletpc... but they were at least a month away from when I wanted it.]

Dell recall of 4 million laptop batteries

...on that note, [this just in...]

http://news.com.com/Dell+to+recall+over+4+million+batteries/2100-1044_3-6105486.html
Dell to recall 4 million batteries

By Tom Krazit
Staff Writer, CNET News.com
Published: August 14, 2006, 3:17 PM PDT

just in Dell and the U.S. Products and Safety Commission plan to recall 4.1 million notebook batteries on Tuesday, a company representative confirmed Monday.

The recall affects certain Inspiron, Latitude and Precision mobile workstation units shipped between April 2004 and July 18, 2006. Sony manufactured the batteries that are being recalled, the representative said. ...

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/14/technology/14cnd-customer.html

What to Do About Those Batteries

Owners of Dell notebook computers affected by the recall will be notified in most cases by mail, e-mail and an online software-update system that sends messages directly to the computer screen, company officials say. Corporate customers will be contacted by sales representatives. The recall involves more than 30 Latitude, Inspiron, Precision and XPS models.

Dell is telling its customers to follow these steps, beginning Tuesday:

Go to www.dellbatteryprogram.com to determine if a Dell notebook you use is affected.

If so, remove the battery from the notebook. Use the power cord and adapter to run the computer. Do not dispose of the battery.

Call Dell’s customer service line at 866-342-0011. Dell will send a new battery and a prepaid shipping box for the return of the suspect one.

Send the suspect battery back to Dell in its prepaid mailer.

Owners of other brands of notebooks curious about who made their battery may be able to check the battery maker by opening the computer’s power management program.

Related to What kind of processor should i be looking for on my laptop?

What kind of processor should I be looking for on my laptop?

The type of processor you should be looking for on your laptop depends on your specific needs and budget. Generally, you should consider the processor's speed, number of cores, and cache size to ensure smooth performance for your desired tasks.

What is the difference between Intel and AMD processors?

Intel and AMD are both popular brands of processors, but they have some key differences. Intel processors are known for their single-threaded performance and efficiency, while AMD processors tend to have more cores and better multi-threaded performance. Additionally, Intel processors are generally more expensive than AMD processors.

What is the importance of clock speed in a processor?

Clock speed, measured in GHz, refers to the speed at which a processor can execute instructions. Generally, a higher clock speed means faster processing, but it is not the only factor that determines a processor's performance. Other factors, such as the number of cores and cache size, also play a role.

What is the significance of cores in a processor?

Cores refer to the number of independent processing units in a processor. More cores mean the processor can handle multiple tasks simultaneously, resulting in faster performance. However, not all tasks can take advantage of multiple cores, so the number of cores needed depends on the specific tasks you plan on using your laptop for.

Should I prioritize a higher-end processor or a dedicated graphics card for gaming?

For gaming, both a high-end processor and a dedicated graphics card are important. However, if you have to choose one, a dedicated graphics card is crucial for smooth and high-quality gaming. It is also important to make sure that the processor and graphics card are compatible with each other for optimal performance.